[Snapshot] Can't create backup

I tried to back up my site a few days ago but I got an error. I came on here yesterday to get some help and the agent gave me some code to add to my wp-config file but it hasn't worked.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jake,

I did a couple of tests on your site and I was able to complete a backup of database and of your themes, however, as soon as I included more files, like themes, then the backup fails.
    This means that there are some server limitations that are preventing the plugin from processing a large number of files.
    You should get in touch with your hosting provider so they can have a look at the server logs at the time that backup fails and check which server resources are being exhausted and ask them to increase those for you.

After that backup should be able to finish.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jake
    • Flash Drive

I have contacted my hosting provider and they said it is the resources causing the problem.

However, they can't increase my resources....
    "Upon further investigation, we found out that the IO Usage and Memory usage suddenly bounced beyond limit at the same time you have mentioned.
    In this case, we suggest that you use the optimized version of plugin or get an alternative plugin which doesn't consume much of the above server resources.

The account is hosted on a shared server environment so we can not increase the assigned resources. All accounts, around a few hundreds, on a shared server have an equal amount of allotted resources."

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jake

Thank you for getting back to us!

Unfortunately, IO is a critical aspect here. IO is basically a file read-write operations speed and if the limit is strict that can cause significant issues as backup does perform very large number of such "file read-write" operations.

If there's no way to increase that limit on a server, what you could try would be to try to setup multiple snapshots instead of one, trying to "split" backup into multiple smaller backups scheduled at different times. For example: one backup containing db only, one containing only media library and so on. However, if that also doesn't work for you I'm afraid there's not much else that could be done at the moment as if host doesn't allow increasing IO limits it's a "blocker".

You could, however, also give Manged Backups a try. If they doesn't work either, that would most likely be also the IO issue but we could try (I can't promise in advance as it also depends on the site and server) to "tweak it" a bit as there's a bit more options for us to do this than in case of snapshots (Snapshot -> Snapshots). If you want to give it a try - please test if Managed Backups are working and if not, let me know and I'll see I'll check if we could tweak at least those.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jake
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

I've tested managed backups and they failed.
    I also tested creating separate backups which worked for a few of them but not for plugins or media files.

I've attached a few screenshots of the errors I have received

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Jake

Thank you for your response!

Taking that into account, I accessed the site again and let myself do some testing of "Managed Backups". I quickly noticed the I/O and IOPS issue and those limits there seem to be really pretty low and quite restrictive.

However, unlike with Snapshots (as in "Snapshot -> Snapshots") with Manage Backups ("Snapshot - > Managed Backups") we can try to tweak that a bit. That said:

- I've reviewed files on server and added some exclusions; take a look please at the "Snapshot -> Settings" page -> "Global Exclusions" option

- I've added some "tweaks" for Managed Backups to the "wp-config.php" file

After that I tried to run managed backup and it seems that it was going on fine so far. It's much slower now but it went on quite steadily according to its internal logs. I've also been watching I/O and IOPS stats in Cpanel and while they were jumping up high periodically, they weren't kept at the top level all the time but rather at a reasonably low level.

Since the process takes long, I wasn't able to keep it running until the end so I cancelled it for now and instead scheduled it to daily (so we can quickly see if it works or not). Run in backup it also should have a bit less impact on resources.

Managed Backup is currently set to be run daily at 1am (your time) so let's leave it like this. Would you please check it back on site tomorrow at, let's say, 1am plus at least 6-8 hours (or later) and let me know here if it completed or if it failed again?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jake,

We tried applying some additional tweaks in the plugin in order to further reduce the load on your server and even excluded almost all of the files but your server keeps hitting the limits pretty much as soon as the process started.
    I'm afraid that this is something that you will need to further discuss with your server provider and ask them to increase the limits that are reached during the backup process.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.