Snapshot clean remote repositories

What is the purpose of the 'Also, clean remote repositories' option when creating scheduled backup?

See image

Does that remove all files from remote destination, or just the old backup.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Darnell

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

This option is related to the "Storage limit" option. When a backup is created, Snapshot creates it locally (on your server) and only after that uploads it to a remote location. By default Snapshot will keep set number of local copies (as set in "Keep" field there) and an unlimited number of remote repositories.

If you enable "Also clean remote repositories" option, then this will also apply to those backups uploaded to remote destination. For example: if you set "Storage Limit" option to "Keep 1 backup before removing older archives" what will happen is:

- Snapshot will create backup
    - it will remove all older backups of that name from your server, keeping just that last one
    - it will remove all older backups of that name from your remote destination, keeping just that last one.

Please note: the "Name" is important here (see the "Name - Give your snapshot a nice name!" option below storage limit settings in snapshot configuration). If you're keeping snapshots from other sites in the very same folder of your destination (Dropbox/GDrive) then if there's any backup of the same name, it would be removed as well. it's very important then to either keep backups from different sites in separate folders or to make sure that they got unique names.

I hope that helps but if you got any additional questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.