Snapshot database question

Hi there,

I'm using snapshot and I have a couple of questions. I've just downloaded a copy of my latest backup to clone an existing site for dev purposes. One thing that I have noticed though is that when I open the zip file I dont have one big .sql file, rather I have .sql files for each of the tables in the database.

Looking into it more the guidance around this seems to suggest I should have one single file, what's the best way to get the individual files into one so I can import into mysql?

Thanks
B

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ben,

All right Ben whats the big idea asking questions on Monday? .... Just kidding you know :smiley:

Looking into it more the guidance around this seems to suggest I should have one single file, what's the best way to get the individual files into one so I can import into mysql?

Great question indeed though I do not know if this is possible using Snapshot.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• benmckenna
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Joe,

I've found another way around it, client lost their mysql password which is why I was working from a backup, so it's not super urgent.

That said, it would be great to know if it's something I'm doing wrong or, if it's not, whether it's easy enough to rectify.

Oh, and I specifically waited for the afternoon here in the UK to post it :slight_smile:

B

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@benmckenna, I'm not sure on your part of your own initial comment "...guidance around this seems to suggest I should have one single file..." Back in version 1.0.0 up to 1.0.2 we had the backup of the tables into a single .sql file stored within the zip file.

The problem with this concept is that on larger systems dealing with a single large file for all tables is a problem. specially is the site has many years of content. I worked directly with some users where the snapshot zip file was well over 500Mb in size. Trying to then load this into as a single file for a restore becomes an issue since the file has to be read into memory.

Plus down the road for the plugin we want to allow selective table restores.

So on to your issue. Have you tried just uploading the zip file into phpMyAdmin? If that does not work then your only option is to load each file individually into phpMyAdmin.

as another option. For the cloned site try installing the Snapshot 2.0 beta
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/plugin-beta-snapshot-20 This new version will let you move the zip file to another instance and import it (see the option under settings). From there you can try to restore just as you would on the initial site. But be warned the restore will overwrite everything.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ben,

Thank you for your demonstrated sense of humor and working with me, it is truly appreciated.

While we await @Paul 's invaluable input here, I offer you to download in what is in my opinion the greatest Database Management software of all time Navicat.

Check it out and let me know what you think of it, I found it to be absolutely amazing.

Cheers, Joe

• benmckenna
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Guys.

Brilliant support, as ever. It's not often you get two different people replying with help.

@Paul, I think i may have got my snapshots confused, here's where I saw it mentioned. .link I get the thinking of single tables, it'd be great to select the method though. I'll have a play with 2.0 though, thanks for the link.

@aecnu Thanks for your help, I'll take a look at that link too. I think we can close this now. You're both stars.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.