Snapshot default exclusion is not working!

I thought and since I read that sanpshot by default won't backup sanpshots folder, but It did! And all of sudden I seen the backup is massively increasing every time a snapshot takes place.

2nd, If I choose to send the snapshot archive to Dropbox, why the snapshot plugin doesn't delete the local archive afterwards from the snapshot folder?

All the backup plugins I dealt with do that, delete the archive after sending it to remote storage.

Under Restore options, please create a field where I can select which Sub-site to restore. I don;t understand anything from the Database tables.

Please update the plugin.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Imad Daou

• Paul

@Imad

Snapshot default exclusion is not working! I thought and since I read that sanpshot by default won't backup sanpshots folder, but It did! And all of sudden I seen the backup is massively increasing every time a snapshot takes place.

You will need to provide much more information for this. You are running Multisite I can see. But are you creating an archive for the primary site or a sub-site? Snapshot only stores data on the primary site and per specific code within the plugin it does not include its own wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder. You say that is does on your system so show me via the archive logs where this is happening. Or are you just going be the size of the archive? Please provide details on your settings.

Also, below you mention other back plugins. Please make sure you are also not including these other backups in the Snapshot archive. You can go to Snapshots > Settings and look for the section 'Global Exclusions' to exclude these from all snapshots.

2nd, If I choose to send the snapshot archive to Dropbox, why the snapshot plugin doesn't delete the local archive afterwards from the snapshot folder?

All the backup plugins I dealt with do that, delete the archive after sending it to remote storage.

This is not a bug. This is by design. You can edit the snapshot configuration by going to Snapshots > All Snapshots. Click on the snapshot configuration to edit. On the configuration screen look to the section 'When to Archive' You will see an input field to control the maximum number of archive. Lower possible is one.

Under Restore options, please create a field where I can select which Sub-site to restore. I don;t understand anything from the Database tables.

Um there is that option. Do this. Go to Snapshots > All Snapshots. Select the row item to restore. click the 'restore' link on the hover menu. This will take you to a second screen where you select the actual archive to restore. You will be shown a third screen. On this screen is a big section in the middle of the screen showing the source details of the archive on the left and the destination fields on the right. See image. On the destination site there is a button 'change' which lets you restore to a different sub-site. Once you enter the correct sub-site detail the right site information will update showing the corrected database prefix, URL, etc.

• Imad

Hi Paul, I apologize for not stating more information, but Yes I did, I have written the path of the other backup plugins under the Global Exclusion before I backed up, and since I noticed that snapshot is backing up the snapshots folder as well, I have included the path of snapshots folder under the global exclusion as well and it works fine.

Regarding the Local Archives, I agree, but how about leaving no local copies at all, is it possible? For example, updraftplus plugin at my other site http://www.ccnahub.com use updraft folder as temp space till it sends the archive to Dropbox and once the archive is sent, it deletes the local copy. If I ever wants to restore, updraftplus retrieve the archive from the remote storage and gives me the option to restore either, themes, plugins, uploads, or other folder, and of course you can select the database as well. Its great plugin; I'm buying it's network version soon. besides, I am using myRepono Plugin as well, at each of those backup plugin i use the exclusion to exclude plugins backups from each other.

Finally, about the Sub-site restore, i have navigated as you mentioned, but I was faced with 2 red lines looks like warning and I stopped right there. I have included a screenshot for your kind attention. I haven't done any restore yet since I want to make sure first with you about the warning lines.

Thank you so much Paul, I look forward for your response at your earliest convenience.

Imad Daou

• Paul

Hi Paul, I apologize for not stating more information, but Yes I did, I have written the path of the other backup plugins under the Global Exclusion before I backed up, and since I noticed that snapshot is backing up the snapshots folder as well, I have included the path of snapshots folder under the global exclusion as well and it works fine.

I guess I'm a little confused. I know Snapshot has specific code which automatically excludes the wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ directory tree from being included in the archive creation process. But you are telling me that that snapshot folder is being included? Can you provide any details to support this? Logs file screenshot showing the included folder? Something?

Regarding the Local Archives, I agree, but how about leaving no local copies at all, is it possible? For example, updraftplus plugin at my other site http://www.ccnahub.com use updraft folder as temp space till it sends the archive to Dropbox and once the archive is sent, it deletes the local copy. If I ever wants to restore, updraftplus retrieve the archive from the remote storage and gives me the option to restore either, themes, plugins, uploads, or other folder, and of course you can select the database as well. Its great plugin; I'm buying it's network version soon. besides, I am using myRepono Plugin as well, at each of those backup plugin i use the exclusion to exclude plugins backups from each other.

As states this is the way Snapshot was written. Snapshot was originally not meant to be a full backup tool but more a quick capture of the database in case you needed a quick image of the site before installing a plugin or such. So for that it is best to have the last backup local. This may change int he future may not.

Finally, about the Sub-site restore, i have navigated as you mentioned, but I was faced with 2 red lines looks like warning and I stopped right there. I have included a screenshot for your kind attention. I haven't done any restore yet since I want to make sure first with you about the warning lines.

for the most part those warnings are just red flags meant to keep the person doing the restore from potentially damaging the destination site. We do have some users who are somewhat click happy in that they don't fully read what is being shown on the screen. Depending on your restore situation you will or will not see those read messages. Again, you can safely click the change button to select the sub-site you want to restore to.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.