Snapshot does not allow a restore if WP needs to be re-installed

I had to re-install my WP site today as a WP update to the newest version failed (my fault for not having set correct access permissions in the WP directory prior to running the update).

My hope was that a Snapshot backup could easily be used to re-install my theme, content and theme settings. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to do this. Snapshot only seems to be able to restore content within the WP installation in which Snapshot was originally configured.

I tried (and failed)
- using the same DropBox folder I used previously
- uploading the archive ZIP to the WP/Uploads folder

In the end, I was glad that I did a regular export prior to breaking my WP (something I do prior to applying any major update) and I was able to re-import my content. However, this sort of defeats the purpose of snapshot, which at first seemed like a great plugin.

Right now, Snapshot only seems useful if I delete my content and need to restore it.

• Paul

@bopf, Yes, we/I am aware of the one flaw in the logic that Snapshot relies on WordPress in order to function. So in terms of a broken site there is not option to do a restore. The admin has to bet WP back functional then perform the restore. Generally this is simply clearing the database tables and perform the initial WP setup. The activate Snapshot and run the restore. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

So trying to follow your issue here. You upgraded to WP 3.5 and thing broke. Was WP totally borked meaning could not login to wp-admin. At that point what was the exact steps you used to get WP back running?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to determine at what point Snapshot would have broken. Snapshot stores it's configuration data into the wp-options table. But the archives even is sent to destinations are retained in the wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder. If you loose your wp-options table for example you can re-import the zip archive And Snapshot will re-confugure itself somewhat. If you go to Snapshots > Settings you will see a section 'Archive Import' which will scan the wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ directory to zip files to import.

• bopf

Paul,
    WP was completely broken and I could not get back into wp-admin.

As I had all my content backed up, I ssh'd into my server, deleted everything and set up a clean, new WP site and DB (ok, ok, that might have been to fast on my part).

I guess, I just assumed that if I set up snapshot with a link to the same Dropbox folder to store backups, it would pick up the old archive or give me an option to import an old archive.

Maybe the easiest enhancement would be the option to import a ZIP archive into a new WP setup. But I also realize that non-programmers such as me, tend to oversimplify these kinds of requests and I do not know what happens in the background to allow a full restore (I assume that Snapshot would need to save the themes, plugins as well as theme and plug-in settings in order to do what I suggest.

Lastly, I need to add that I have never ever bought from an any company which offers WPMU's reaction time, quality and friendliness to user questions. You are really the model for how support should work in an ideal world. Thank you!

• Paul

@bopf,

Maybe the easiest enhancement would be the option to import a ZIP archive into a new WP setup

This is what I described in my previous post to this thread. If you go to Snapshots > Settings you will see the 'Archive Import' section. True this does not work until the point that you have a working WP system.

IF you system broke from the upgrade it is unlikely that your non-WP files were effected. So your plugins, themes, uploads should still be in place. Just really needed to restore the WP core files which are not part of Snapshot backups and restore the database tables.

Lastly, I need to add that I have never ever bought from an any company which offers WPMU's reaction time, quality and friendliness to user questions. You are really the model for how support should work in an ideal world. Thank you!

Thanks! Well we try. I'm not really customer service. Just a plugin developer who is responsible for Snapshot as well as some other plugins here.

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.