Snapshot does not backup all the files

We have a big issue with Snapshot Pro plugin. I created a snapshot with settings to include all database and Include common files. But when we imported and used the snapshot to restore the website over another Wordpress installation, all the files we uploaded on June and July were not included (but everything below May were included), and the Database for several network sites wasn't included as well.

Why did this happen?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Genevieve,

Hope your weekend is going well!

In a multisite installation, snapshot is for backing up each subsite - not for backing up the entire multisite in one snapshot. So you can backup a certain subsite and then if that subsite ever has any issues you can easily restore it back through snapshot.

For a full multisite backup, I would always suggest a server side solution, often I'll use cPanel's backup tool. In-fact, using both cPanel backup and snapshot together is an awesome combo because snapshot will be there if any subsites are having issues then you can restore them without having to restore the entire network, but if a network wide issue does occur then you can use the cPanel backup to restore the whole multisite.

Hopefully that clears things up, do you still have any further questions? If so, just let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Genevieve,

Apologies for not replying back earlier.

One reason is that backing up an entire multisite and restoring it is quite a bit more complex due to the setup required and database tables involved. Additionally, the size of a multisite can be an issue. Multisites are generally much larger than a single site given all the additional subsites - so backing everything up will require a lot of server resources and could easily crash your site.

We are looking into a safe way to do this in the future but it's not a priority at this time. Most users running on a shared host likely wouldn't be able to take advantage of it due to server resources required. Which is why using a server side solution like cPanel is more efficient, a lot less server requests need to be made since it's already performing it from the server.

Hope that answers your question. Enjoy the rest of your day :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.