Snapshot Error 524 A Timeout occured

Hi Guys,

I have tried to switch to Snapshot from Backupbuddy but it seems that I have misconfigured it. I followed through the videos but I think I need some help please. The error code is:

Error 524
A timeout occurred

Thanks.
Darren.

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey there,

Hope you are well and thanks for the question.

Do you use CloudFlare?
    I am almost sure you do, as it seems error 524 is specifically their error response - https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171926-Error-524

It says that is error when they can't connect to your server, but users are reporting this is happening even when the server is up.
    So you might want to disable it to see if this helps.

Other reason why this might happen is your ISP DNS server issue.
    You can change your DNS it to google ones -
    8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• VeganFitnessCom
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I do use Cloudflare and it has been causing numerous problems since I added it, but it does significantly improve page speed so ideally I want to try and get it all to play nicely together!

My hosting server is definitely up so I am getting an incorrect error message. Is this something I should contact my host about?

Thanks so much!
      Darren.

• VeganFitnessCom
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ari,

Following on from my last response, snapshot still isn't working for me. It is still saying Error 524 and showing a host error, it has Cloudflare in the middle and shows it with a green tick as working.

Please could you help me? I am slightly concerned that my site has not had a backup in a few weeks since I decided to switch to Snapshot instead of Bakupbuddy.

Thanks.
      Darren.

• VeganFitnessCom
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi WPMU DEV,

Following on from my last response, snapshot still isn't working for me. It is still saying Error 524 and showing a host error, it has Cloudflare in the middle and shows it with a green tick as working.

Please could you help me? I am slightly concerned that my site has not had a backup in a few weeks since I decided to switch to Snapshot instead of Bakupbuddy.

Thanks.
    Darren.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again!

Snapshots can take a while and they are resources-intensive since they have to get every single bit of your site and export it.
    Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but it looks like cloudflare is messing up this request.
    Have you tried adding an exception to CloudFlare so that it doesn't process your wp-admin requests? You can learn how to do that here: https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-pagerules-fine-grained-feature-co/

Cheers,
    Ari.

• VeganFitnessCom
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Ari,

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the help.

I went in to Cloudflare and added a page rule of *veganfitness.com/wp-admin* with apps and performance set to off, then I went back to snapshots and tried to add a new snapshot, but now it instantly comes up with a long list of red writing as an error message at the top.

I'm not sure if any of the error message is confidential information about the server or not so not sure whether to post it here. Is there any way to securely share information with WPMU DEV staff please? Or to get support which is not in this forum style setting?

I also tried adding the Mailchimp plugin after adding the page rule and I keep getting this error:
      "Downloading install package from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php?action=install&key=b71de0fa2918d1cb58c902fe67c18d65452c6d1f&pid=73…

Download failed. Failed to write request to temporary file."

I'm not sure what to try now.

Thanks!
      Darren.

• VeganFitnessCom
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Further to my last message, I can now install plugins etc, that was a separate issue.

However, I got really excited when the snapshots backup process got so far through and was nearly finished but then it came back with the same error 524. It has made progress though, it gets further than ever before, but still not complete backup. :slight_frown:

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey there Darren,

Hope you're doing well today!

Have you asked your host about this yet? They may be able to help you optimize the server setup to avoid this error :slight_smile:

How big is the snapshot you are trying to create?

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. Glad you got the install issue sorted out :slight_smile: good stuff.

• VeganFitnessCom
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your reply. I'm good thank you. Hope you're having a good weekend!

I have contacted my host who said:

"Yes a lot of these backup plugins take a long time to make the files, this is using the maximum time a script is allowed to run.

Have you tried WordPress backup to dropbox? this runs in the background and takes good backups."

The snapshot I'm trying to make is just over 1GB. As my host has said that it is set to allow the maximum amount of time, do you think that means I just can't use snapshot? Or is 1GB too big?

Thanks!
      Darren.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @VeganFitnessCom

I hope you're well today!

Did your host say what they have set the max_execution_time to exactly? Some hosts like HostGator set ridiculously low limits on shared plans like 30secs .

Also, what have you set for the Database Segment Size in your Snapshot settings? Try setting that to a lower value so it uses less resources by passing more frequently through your database to grab all the tables.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.