Snapshot error: Other kind of backup error

Managed Backups are not running properly, they give an error:

Other kind of backup error

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Free

I hope you're well today!

I checked your site and did some changes to Snapshot's Managed Backup configuration. The backup, fired manually, seemed to be going fine but it took a long time and eventually I was logged out of the site. Since it's going to take another couple of hours to re-start it, could I ask you for a little help?

Would you please go to Managed Backups setup and make sure that it's scheduled, then just wait until a schedule date/time + a couple more hours passes, then let me know if this time the backup was created?

It seemed to be running fine until I was logged out (and apparently also blocked) from the site so let's see if it completes when run in backup.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Free,

It seems that there's something wrong with Cron jobs on your site that's preventing scheduled jobs to fire up.
    I have tried creating a new page on your main site and set it as scheduled so it would be published at the set time, however that didn't work and page was still showing as scheduled 10 minutes after scheduled time has passed.

Now, this could be caused by a plugin, because I see you have Webcraftic Clearfy which states that it disables some of WP functionality, but I'm not familiar with this plugin so I'm not sure what exactly it disables, I would suggest trying to disable that and give it another try.

If that doesn't help you should get in touch with your hosting provider so they can check the server logs and see if the cron job is working properly, and see if your using default WP Cron or something server specific.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Free

I set ('ALTERNATE_WP_CRON', true);
    I tested to schedule a post. It worked well. Let's see, if the scheduled backup runs aswell tonight.

Is the alternate cron worth it for a high traffic site? I prefer problem solving against alternatives.

Anyway, i get follow error, if i try to run a snapshot while "Files: : plugins":

An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting. Double check Snapshot settings.

• Free

It's 9am now. Scheduled Backup is in progress… 26%
    Seems to stuck here. Im not sure, it's about cron error. Updraft Plus updates running daily. With huge delay, but they run.

The problem could be similar to the snapshot problem mentioned above. Snapshots fail even with manual activation fails.

Anyway, im sure now, ALTERNATE_WP_CRON is not an alternative for me. But we can keep it active, till we made backups & snapshots run :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Free

Some more time passed by so did the backup eventually complete? I'm asking because the support access to the site is no longer active and I can't access it to check by myself.

As for cron, you're right. While ALTERNATE_WP_CRON is some sort of a "workaround" it's not quite a solution, especially not for a high-traffic site. A good solution in such case it to disable WP CRON entirely and instead switch to a real server cron. This should take off a bit (though not much) of load from the site but most importantly, it's more reliable and accurate.

Here's a handy guide on how to do this:

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

It's by SiteGround and they are referring to their own hosting but it's the same principle (and if you are using cPanel, steps would be the same too) in every case so take a look please and I think this would be the best way to go about cron in this case.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Free

No, I don't think it's only about cron. A manually run backup breaks too anyway, I just tried that again.

I admit I'm a bit confused as we excluded all the bigger files that could possibly block it, site and PHP configuration seems good enough to handle that and AWS (I didn't know it was AWS before) should be more than capable of handling task like this as well.

I'm wondering though: maybe we should try slightly different approach. While I was checking the site again, I noticed that the last successful backup was on 23rd. There's a backup listed in Managed Backups back then. Since that time there were attempts to process backups because I can see that in snapshot logs on server (but this logs just "cut off", not giving any additional information). So, I'm wondering what might have changed around 23rd this month on site or server: were there any updates performed or some plugins added or removed? Were there any changes made to the server configuration?

Are you able to recall anything like that?

Let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.