Snapshot failing with a white screen

I am having an issue with Snapshot. I am attempting to take a snapshot of my entire website but I am not sure what happens however it will actually stop and go to a blank white screen when it is nearly complete. We have tried enabling debug in wp-config.php but no debug logs were generated.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Philip,

Hope you're doing well.

I did a test without your files and the database backup completed without any issues, it did took a bit longer than expected but it did finish.
    Do you perhaps have some unusually large files on your server that could take more time to backup which could cause timeout?

Also, could you activate Managed Backups on your site as we can tweak some additional things there compared to standard snapshot and check if that will work on your site and hopefully get some more info about what's going on?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Philip

Yes, I have tons of large files that are probably causing it to time out.
    The purpose of me using this snapshot is so that I may migrate my entire site (including all the pages, custom posts, plugins & content and edits made to the theme) all to the primary domain of a multi-site network for my newly acquired domain, myenclave.com. Would it be easier for me to simply activate a multisite network on this current domain (rent.myenclave.com) and swap the domain to myenclave.com? OR should I continue trying to use Snapshot to move this site to my blank multisite set-up at myenclave.com?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Philip,

If you're having many large files and server is not able to handle those then you might want to try moving the files from wp-content files manually and then only restore database backup so that settings and other data is moved to your new site.

Changing the domain and activating multisite should also do the trick, but since you have a lot of plugins I couldn't guarantee how will all of them behave when you make the switch.
    In theory there shouldn't be any issues but still you should keep this in mind.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Philip

I am experiencing additional issues with Snapshot currently as I attempted to back-up only my database as instructed with the assistance of another rep, Vaughn. Once I submitted the snapshot for database only I received a red error message from the plugin and then seconds later my entire site crashed. It has been cutting online and offline all day and I have been on the phone with my hosting support to see if there is any issue and it is very strange.

• Philip

So they said there was some "process" that was causing an error. (Mind you, this error happened when I went to back up my database on Snapshot and I have a ticket submitted for Snapshot due to other issues I have experienced with that plugin.) When they took me off hold they said they fixed the issue, it allowed me to log in again but then quickly crashed once more.
    I noticed however that Snapshot was no longer displaying on my admin dashboard when i was logged back in for that quick second
    They have since placed me back on hold to determine what is going on with the snapshot plugin to cause this site to keep cutting in and out

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Philip,

Creating a backup of database shouldn't take much resources that would cause your site to break, and if the Snapshot panel was not there when you logged in than it means that the plugin was deactivated so it's not what caused the site to go down again.

It's possible that your server was close to the resource limits and that running the snapshot did make it to hit that limit and fail, but that doesn't explain your site going down without Snapshot active.

Can you keep us up to date with the information you get from your host so we can see if there's anything that could be done from our end to help out with this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.