snapshot fails on manual o remote backup

snapshot always fails during media backup...

and a box showing a "page not found" of my page appears inside the dashboard...

I don't really have that many images and they are not heavy...

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Birdcho , hope you're doing well!

Would you please enable WordPress debugging by putting the following to the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Please make sure that you insert this line BEFORE /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ in the wp-config.php file.

Please, create a snapshot file that includes only media files from Snapshot Pro > All Snapshot. This way all errors will be saved in the debug.log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Once the backup will fail again, rename the debug.log to debug.txt and attach the file here.

Also, please grant access from WPMU DEV > Support so I can have a closer look?

Please see the detailed instructions on the link below:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Let me know how it went!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Denitsa
    • WordPress Warrior

Hello Birdcho,

I'm sorry for the delay in our response!

Will you try running a theme/plugin conflict test? To perform it, please follow all the steps described on a flowchart in this article (you may need to scroll the page down a little):
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Would you mind also re-granting the Support Access from the dashboard? Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
    Denitsa

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Birdcho,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

No you would not lose any content when you will switch theme. That was an old issue but the new Customizer API sorted it out.

But things can go wrong any time. So it is better to prepare for such situation by taking backup of your website with a backup restore plugin like Snapshot Pro.

The first thing I checked on your site after logging in to your website via support staff access was memory limit and maximum execution time. These are set to very low.

Please increase the memory_limit, max_execution_time, upload_max_filesize and post_max_size values by following one of methods mentioned in this blog post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

Before making the changes, note down the existing memory limit and execution time in WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info -> PHP, so you could compare those later to make sure the changes are actually take effect.

Try to increase as much as your host allows. Once setup, then try again.

Take care and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Birdcho
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi Sajid,

hope you are doing ok, thank you for helping me:

I tried and the only method that worked was when I did the "Amending Your wp-config.php File".

I have it setup at 3000M but it still shows an error when I try to do a full snapshot... I think my whole site should not weigh more than 350MB...

I tried doing:

-snapshot with all the files and it failed.
      -snapshot without media and it failed
      -snapshot without media or plugins and it failed
      -snapshot without media, plugins, or themes and it worked

but what do I do with the rest?

cheers!

• Birdcho
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sajid,

I contacted my hosting provider, they changed the limits for RAM for PHP upto 256M and upload limit to 128M.

but problem persists..

should this really be the problem?

the themes folder on wp-content/uploads weighs 14MB only... and it also crashes when only backuping themes...

• Denitsa
    • WordPress Warrior

Hey there Birdcho,

Hm, having your memory limit set to 256M should be enough usually.

Will you try adding the following to your wp-config.php file?

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10); //default is (250)
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100); //(default is 1000)

Would you also keep support access open, since it has expired again? Many thanks!

All the best,
    Denitsa

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Birdcho,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Yes, that could be a reason. Immediate backup requires you to stay on the page until it is finished. That is also resourced heavy since it keeps pinging the server with AJAX HTTP request for the status of the snapshot and for the next chunk command.

So it is better to schedule the Snapshot (WP Dashboard -> Snapshot -> Add New) or Managed Backup (WP Dashboard -> Snapshot -> Managed Backup). That way it will process the backups in the background on the server side and also saves the headache of keeping the browser window opened up until its finished.

If you still get the issue, then please send me FTP and WordPress admin details via our private contact form, so I could further investigate this issue.

You can send the requested details via our secure contact form in following format.

Subject: "Attn: Sajid Javed”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.