SnapShot for multisite status and usage questions

1. Is SnapShot now able to migrate a multisite to new domain? Last fall it was close but not there yet. What is current status for migration?

2. For general backups for multisite - can one backup be done for the entire network or does each subsite need to have a separate Snapshot? 2.a. Since we are maintaining all of the subsites and would be storing the backups, If each site needs a separate snapshot, would having this setup on blog template work? I assume there may be a timing issue. What would you recommend for efficient backups?

• Michelle Shull

antKat! Hello!

At this point in time, Snapshot still needs to take backups one site at a time. Backing up the entire network at once would be more than most member servers could handle without running out of the necessary resources, regardless of how elegantly we write Snapshot. You can absolutely use it to migrate your network, as well as back it up, but you'll need to handle one subsite at a time.

Thanks for your question, have a great weekend!

• antKat

I've been reading through your forum on this topic. Over a year ago, there were a couple of threads that indicated that there would be "coming soon" global settings for subsites and that subsites would be automatically added. Please clarify what actually needs to happen to setup scheduled back-ups for each of the sites.
    1. Do I still need to manually create a SnapShot for each subsite or is there a configuration that creates a new snapshot as sites are added to the network?
    2. How close in time should the Snapshots be scheduled? I currently have 150 sites and would prefer to have them backed-up during the night but how far apart do they need to be scheduled?

• timstrifler

I would like information on this as well. It would be really nice if Snapshot was able to back up an entire network and have new sites added automatically. Without this, Snapshot is essentially useless for Multisite Network Admins. I want to be able to backup my customer's sites automatically for them, not configure it separately for each new site. As a network owner, I care about my network as a whole and want to properly protect it as a whole. Please advise.

Backing up the entire network at once would be more than most member servers could handle without running out of the necessary resources

Sorry, but that would be extremely lazy developing if that was actually the reason why it hasn't been done yet. There are plenty of creative ways to solve that problem.

• Michelle Shull

Hi, all!

I'm happy to invite the dev in for some feedback as to how and why Snapshot handles multisite backups the way it does. Perhaps that will be more satisfactory than what was explained to me.

It would be fantastic if Snapshot could back up an entire network automatically.

AntKat - Backing up at night during low traffic times is wise. How you stagger your backups to be the most optimized will depend a lot on your particular situation. How long does it typically take to complete a backup of one of your subsites? The time it takes to do a full backup usually depends on how fast your server is and how much data you're backing up. If it typically takes say 12 minutes to do a backup on your average subsite, staggering them at 15 minute intervals should be more than fine.

As of right now, no, new subsites aren't automatically added to the Snapshot schedule.

Thanks for your questions.