Snapshot gateway timeout

Keep getting a 502 bad gateway when attempting snapshot using Managed Backup option. The backup doesn't progress above 0% and fails with this error:
https://static.livechatinc.com/8801096/P5SYHOF84K/082f12301e06f95f5af38b09807e424a/2018-03-22%20(1).png

• Ash

Hello Natalie

Are you on a shared hosting? What is the memory limit you have?

I would also want to check the max execution time on the server. Would you please let me know about that?

Also, on your server, please check the error log. This is error log is different that debug.log. If you are on shared hosting, please consult with the host for the error log. Send us those.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• James Morris

Hello Natalie

I'm terribly sorry for the delay in response here.

I've taken a deep look into your server and discovered you had a large amount of .zip files in the root of your website as well as sprinkled around here and there. These all appear to be backups from previous versions of the site or dev work. There was also the old-page directory which included the old website. I've relocated these to /home/{USER}/wpmudev-tmp/ because they were causing your backup to be excessively large >14GB and your account does not have enough memory to perform a Snapshot of a backup this large.

Also, checking your PHP configuration, your memory limits were very low. Your hosting account supports up to 1.5GB of memory_limit so I have updated your configuration to make use of 1GB of this and modified your wp-config.php so that WordPress will know it can take full use of it.

Finally, you had several directories that needed to be excluded in Snapshot because they contained old backups or cache (which shouldn't be backed up). You can find these directories in your Snapshot Settings:

backups
    cache
    Dropbox_Backup
    envato-backups
    updraft
    wphb-cache
    backwpup-0d0095-logs
    backwpup-0d0095-temp
    et_temp

After performing these steps, I created a test Snapshot named WPMU DEV Test Snapshot and it ran successfully.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Natalie

Hi - just got this report from you guys. Looks like something is happening. Its suppose to only be backed up once a week but looks like either that is not happening or its nto working. Suggestions please?

Automate report for http://www.camerachick.com.au:
    1 update, 6 errors
    G’day Natalie,
    Strewth maaaaaate, we ran Automate on http://www.camerachick.com.au for ya! Here’s what we got up to:
    • Mar 22, 2018 at 4:38pm: Error when attempting full site backup
    • Mar 23, 2018 at 5:00pm: Error when attempting full site backup
    • Mar 24, 2018 at 5:14pm: Error when attempting full site backup
    • Mar 24, 2018 at 11:17pm: Error when attempting full site backup
    • Mar 25, 2018 at 5:22am: Error when attempting full site backup
    • Mar 25, 2018 at 11:22am: Error when attempting full site backup
    • Mar 25, 2018 at 11:22am: Automate has been disabled due to multiple consecutive backup creation errors
    • Apr 10, 2018 at 10:49pm: Full site backup success
    • Apr 10, 2018 at 11:27pm: Updated WPMU DEV Dashboard from 4.4 to 4.5
    After Automate we ran a Safe Upgrade check on your site:
    Uptime has pinged your site and it's UP, with no errors detected.
    Contact our live chat expert support team if you need any assistance or just have questions about the above Automate report. We're always here for you 24/7.
    You can change your Automate settings and manage or unsubscribe from email reports in the "configuration" tab of Automate.
    Hope you’re having a bonza day, catchya later!

• James Morris

Hello Natalie

Looking over that log, it seems the errors were prior to the fixes I applied to your site.

• Mar 25, 2018 at 11:22am: Automate has been disabled due to multiple consecutive backup creation errors

I updated your configuration and replied here on

Fri Mar 30 2018, 4:30:32 AM

The next log message is

•	Apr 10, 2018 at 10:49pm: Full site backup success
    •	Apr 10, 2018 at 11:27pm: Updated WPMU DEV Dashboard from 4.4 to 4.5

Also, I logged into your site and checked Managed Backups.

249.41 MB April 11, 2018 @ 8:18 am

So, it looks like everything is working correctly now.

The reason that Automate kept trying to run the backup is because of the prior failure. Automate will keep trying until it hits the failure threshold. Once it hits that limit, then it will disable until action is taken.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.