Snapshot gets stuck at 4%

I have a network with a couple sites(hundreds+) but the backup stopped working. When trying to create a new snapshot for any site it simply gets stuck at 4% with no error being reported in the browser.

• James Morris

Hello Leslie,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

I've taken a look at your WordPress Dashboard and I'm seeing that this is a rather large Network. I'm also seeing the following information about your PHP configuration:

memory_limit: 256M

Generally speaking, for a network of this size, you really need more memory allocated to PHP for Snapshot to run most efficiently.

Can you please check with your hosting provider and see what the maximum allowable memory allocation is for PHP and have them update your php.ini or .user.ini to the maximum value for memory_limit then retry to run Snapshot?

If that still does not succeed, would you please grant me access to your site and server so I can investigate this issue further?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Leslie

Thank you for getting that information into me. After performing some further debugging, I've found the following issues that will need to be resolved:

1. max_allowed_packet size in MySQL is set too low which is causing database failures. Your hosting provider can increase this value so that the database operations on your site can perform successfully.

2. max_execution_time in PHP is set to 120. While this might be sufficient for many single site blogs, for performing backups on a network of over 450 subsites, it's a bit too low. Please update this to at least 300 in you PHP configuration editor in Plesk.

3. memory_limit in PHP is set to 1024M. Again, this would be plenty for a smaller network of sites. But in your situation, you really need a good bit more. For a network of your size, 2048M would be more reasonable.

When dealing with large WordPress Multisite Networks (>100 sites), special considerations have to be given to the server configuration. The default values are never quite enough for optimal performance. This includes Apache/NGINX, MySQL and PHP configurations.

Please update the above values in your configuration files and retest. If you still run into problems, ping us back here and we'll be happy to dig into this issue further for you.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.