Snapshot gives wrong warning

Dear DEVS,

I have made a successful backup and get a warning sign in my dashboard at your site. I want to share this. The backup folder is one level above my public folder, maybe the dashboard is not aware of this...

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Daan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm not sure what the warning is, could you please elaborate a bit on it (a screenshot would also be great)?

Furthermore, WordPress shouldn't be forced to use any folder's "level above the public folder" as all the data (including Snapshot backup files) should be stored inside WP install folder's "/wp-content" folder. Folder's "outside the public folder" are not available from "outside" your server so our system is not able to access it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Daan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I moved my folder back to default and i get this message:

Warning: Your Snapshot folder is publicly accessible. Please make sure you DO NOT use the default "snapshot" location. Although we attempt to disallow directory listing and are obscuring your backup names, having this folder public opens it up for exploitation. You may need to consult your hosting provider to move this folder outside of your website folder. Example path:disappointed:home/XXX/domains/XXX/snapshots

So who is right? I am confused :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Daan,

Thanks for your response.

I must admit I'm now a bit confused for the first time while dealing with Snapshot. I never came across that message on any of my test and real websites and I'm using Snapshot to keep backups :slight_smile:

Let me then ask the developer to make sure about it. Please keep an eye on this thread and I'll update it as soon as I get a replay.

I would however like to ask you again for that initial warning message that you were getting before you made changes: what was that message? You did wrote that the Snapshot gives wrong warning but I'd like to know what was the exact message you got. Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Daan!

I'm sorry, I got confused. You were referring all the time to the "dashboard" while the initial question was about The Hub (which is your account dashboard here at WPMU DEV site). I'm sorry I didn't address it.

When you click on that message ("Backup issue") in The Hub what does it say to you? I cannot check it since I do not have such type of access to your account.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Daan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi DEVS,

Me again, Sorry I was not clear. I indeed mean the HUB.

So what is going on, btw not a big issue though, is the icon alert from within the HUB. As you can see in the picture it states i have never made a backup-up before, but that is a false statement.

I do not use backup to the cloud through your API, maybe that's the issue?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Daan!

I'm sorry for keeping you waiting that long. I asked Snapshot developer for help once again and I'll keep "nagging" him in order to get a replay as soon as possible. Developers are dealing with a lot of complex issues on daily basis so their response time may sometimes be longer than ours on forum but I'll be asking him consistently until I get an answer for you.

I'll update the thread as soon as I get a replay.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.