Snapshot giving false error on cron

under settings. It says that Ron is disabled in WP – config. That's not true. I did a manual backup and it created all the directories both in Amazon S3 and on the local directories.

But there's no data?

• Paul

@rmahon,

Not 100% sure what I'm being asked to comment on for this thread. So will try and respond where I see some ambiguity.

under settings. It says that Ron is disabled in WP – config. That's not true. I did a manual backup and it created all the directories both in Amazon S3 and on the local directories.

Ok. Well the detection of WP_Cron being enabled or disabled is not a binary yes/no answer easily determined. In most cases if you have the define 'DISABLE_WP_CRON' in your wp-config this is an indicator. But this can be set by other plugins. Meaning by the time snapshot loads there could be something blocking WP_Cron.

But there's no data?

I'm not sure what you are telling us here. No data where? On the S3 system? Did the local archive finish? Snapshot basically works as a two-step process. First a local archive is created. Then the second step is to forward a copy of the archive to the remote destination. This is where using WP_Cron comes in.

This is showing the active Cron jobs that are working on my multiuser site

I'm not sure what this is an image or. It looks to be a screenshot of your hosting control panel crontab showing active cron jobs. Or is tis from a plugin running within WordPress showing active WP_Cron instances. In that case you should be seeing many more scheduled tasks. Like the WP update WP_Cron entry which runs every 12 hours or so.

• rmahon

Ok. Well the detection of WP_Cron being enabled or disabled is not a binary yes/no answer easily determined. In most cases if you have the define 'DISABLE_WP_CRON' in your wp-config this is an indicator. But this can be set by other plugins. Meaning by the time snapshot loads there could be something blocking WP_Cron.

That is a screen shot for Cpanel showing active cron Jobs
    if the cron was the disabled would they run?

There is also a copy of WP-config. Does not show the 'DISABLE_WP_CRON'

There is a crime command present from Yoast, to put a bitty link on the top of each post where it says link. Useful because you can then measure traffic from that link.

===============================================================
    But there's no data?
    No database tables.
    It's at least consistent, because there's no database tables in the local directories, or on Amazon's S3.

==================================================
    So how do we go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks
    Ron

• Paul

@rmahon,

That is a screen shot for Cpanel showing active cron Jobs
    if the cron was the disabled would they run?

Well cpanel crontab entries are not the same as the WP_Cron scheduling system used by WordPress. What you are showing there are true UNIX crontabs which in no way can be effected by anything within WordPress or more specifically the WordPress WP_Cron system.

To see what is going in with WordPress try installing a WP_Cron plugin like Cron View ( http://wordpress.org/plugins/cron-view/ ). It will show the internal WP_Cron entries like those from Snapshot.

Also in looking at your crontab entries per your screenshot only the first one is calling the WordPress wp-cron.php file. But it is doing it incorrectly , see below. The second on while a true UNIX crontab entry is not calling the WordPress WP_Cron but instead a plugin specific cron.php execution file.

On the first entry you should not have the ?wp_doing_cron..... part of the URL. Your crontab should just be calling the http://writerpublish.com/wp-cron.php without any of the parts after and including the '?'.

Maybe this will help with understanding the difference with true UNIX cron and WP_Cron http://wp.tutsplus.com/articles/insights-into-wp-cron-an-introduction-to-scheduling-tasks-in-wordpress/

There is a crime command present from Yoast, to put a bitty link on the top of each post where it says link. Useful because you can then measure traffic from that link.

I'm not even sure what this means.

But there's no data?
    No database tables.
    It's at least consistent, because there's no database tables in the local directories, or on Amazon's S3.

No table via the manual backup of the backup from a schduled cron? Then I have to ask if the snapshot process actually ran. It would not produce an empty archive.

So how do we go about troubleshooting this?

See above the link I provided for Cron View. Get that installed and show me what is is displaying to you. Still wondering why you have the UNIX crontabs setup on your site. Seems in most cases the WordPress WP_Cron is scheduler enough.

• Paul

@rmahon,

Attached is copy of cron view!

Thanks. Reviewing...

I all so discovered that I have another plug in wp-cron control in effect.

Ok. Not sure if that is good of bad. I also see you are running 'backwpup' which is another WordPress backup plugin. Not say there is an issue. Just trained to notices things like that.

The idea of getting the cron calls in to the linix server, by passing the WordPress is very appealing to me.

Ok. Well to each his/her own. Supporting UNIX crons or why they are not kicking off the WP_Cron scheduled task is not something I can really help debug. I know from past support threads simply adding a UNIX crontab to call (wget) the wp-cron.php in the site root generally works. Then again I've had other users who for whatever reason could not get the normal WP_Cron to function. Not even regular non-Snapshot function. Basically no background processing. Something with the hosting.

Other than that I am complexly confused?

Yeah, me also. I feel like I'm vlid and being asked to describe a color or a wall without any information. In reviewing your cron.txt file you attached I don't see any entries related to snapshot. So I have to ask what snapshot items do you have setup currently? Do you have any backups setup in WordPress that run on a scheduled interval? Do you have any backups that are set to be delivered to a remote destination? I know you started this thread with notes about a blank archive being sent to S3. But not sure if you still have the anything setup.

• Paul

@rmahon,

Can't setup scheduled without the cron?

Sure you can. The warning showing on Snapshot does not prevent you from selecting a scheduled time. see image. Does it?

I am going to disable the other backup and see it that does anything?

Well something is going on. Not just with your site. But I have three other threads reporting similar issues. Can't see an issue on any of my development sites. Are you running any security plugins or Jetpack?

Is it possible to restore on site?
    Or even better I post or Section.

Yes, you can restore even migrate a site. Not sure I follow the second part of your question. You can selectively restore tables and/or files. So you can restore just the wp_posts table not the entire database. But no you cannot restore a single element from the table. Would be nice to have but causes other issues.

• rmahon

It got set aside. Due to some family matters.
    When I heard others were also having problems...

What I did discover is that, sum tables did indeed get backed up.
    But only the root site. And I that I need to go back and read the instructions to see if I have to explicied back up all the subdomins. If that's true should they be separate job's? One for each sub domain. Domain?

I set a backup to run automatically, but haven't checked it yet.

Thanks
    Ron

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.