Snapshot gobbles up resources

Snapshot consumes whatever I/O traffic the server allows regardless of site size and therefore slows the site to a crawl and sometimes causing uptime monitor to register downtime.
Managed backup is pretty low (~20MB) as the website is nearly empty.

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well today and thanks for asking! The managed backups feature is designed to save your entire WP installation to the cloud, so you’re not able to choose what to include in the snapshot.

Could you try changing chunk size to reduce server load and see if that makes any difference.
    You can do that by placing this piece of code inside your wp-config.php file just above /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line:

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);

Before adding this code make sure there’s no backup running on your site, manual or automatic.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

All the best,
    Nazmul

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi Julian,

Hope you are doing great today. Looks like you have set daily backup. When you run a backup, by the nature of the process, it will require an additional memory (the process is reading all the database tables and files (depending on the options chosen) and creating a backup file). If you have higher resources, it will speed up the process to finish the backup quickly. I have checked your error log and I can see there is no error and the backup was done real quick. So I believe it shouldn't affect your site performance, yes it might consume the I/O for a little while.

In my opinion, I think you should set the memory limit it to "1024MB" (it should be enough) and instead of daily backup, you might be interested to set a weekly backup?

Let us know if you want us to investigate more deeply. In that case, you can send us the detailed I/O and memory consumption during the backup process. We'll be happy to assist further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Nazmul

• Julian

I don't have 1024MB to allocate, only 512MB max. But it's not wise to let a script consume all your server RAM. The memory isn't the issue because even during a backup it stays below 128MB. It's just the I/O now that's out of control.

I would like to make daily backups. Even if a site doesn't really need it, it should generally be possible without slowing the server down so much.

I think you have access to the server so you could check the server's resource usage information during a backup. Once you're logged in, under the Advanced Features section click on Resource usage.

Thanks for taking a look :slight_smile:

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi Julian,

Hope you are doing well today and I appreciate your patience on this. I have checked your server and I can see it takes lots of your I/O (it took 7.5MB/s from your 10MB/s limit) during a backup process and it was pretty quick. Since there was no other process running, it took the resource to faster the process and it should not cause any downtime or something I believe. Can you confirm you are having any downtime during the backup process?

Let us know so that we could assess better and forward to our developer.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Nazmul

• Julian

Hey Nazmul H.,

Thanks for looking into this further :slight_smile:

The site isn't really down but extremely slow and sometimes Uptime Monitor does register downtime thanks to that. If you'd browse the front end of the site while a backup is running you'd have to wait forever for pages to load and sometimes they'll time out.

I've contacted the webhost about this as well and they recommended a speed limit of sorts built into the plugin. So Snapshot could have a configurable read/write limit so as to never max out a server's I/O. Would that be something you could add in a future release?
      This would solve the problem entirely.

It doesn't seem to matter how much I/O traffic one is allowed to use, Snapshot would consume all of it, right? So if you'd have a very high I/O limit, the backup might run very quickly, but during that short time the server would still be super slow. In my opinion that's a major problem, especially when you have a site that gets 24/7 traffic and can't afford any slowdowns or downtime.
      The couple of sites I manage are not very critical and don't have much or any traffic at night so the UX isn't really affected and I can get away with running a backup then. But that doesn't go for everyone.

I'm therefore not really looking for a solution for my specific case, but a solution everyone who uses Snapshot can benefit from. Surely I'm not the only one who's running into performance issues with Snapshot?

Thanks!

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi Julian,

Hope you are doing great and thanks for your valuable input. I admit that such settings would be much helpful if user could limit the usage. It could be taken in to consideration for future development hence I am adding this as feature request.

Thanks again for your feedback regarding this, I really appreciate that. :slight_smile:

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Nazmul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.