Snapshot hosting issue

Having and error in Snapshot indicating that php_uname() is disabled on the server. I'm using Flywheel and that function is disabled for security reason.

Is it possible to avoid calling that in the plugin and use other alternatives or implementation?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kevin,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There were additional checks added to the plugin back in 2017 to prevent issues on hosts where the "php_uname()" function is not available. However, it seems that there's one place in the code that is missing that check. It's related to AWS destinations.

I have already reported it to the developers as a bug. At the current state, the issue shouldn't affect plugin functionality/performance as the "php_uname()" function is strictly informational, returning an information about operating system used. But yes, it would throw errors if the debugging log is enabled so that might, indeed, be a bit of pain on development/staging sites.

Our developers will look into it and I believe they'll be able to provide the fix. Please keep an eye on this ticket in case we had additional information (or some sort of "patch") for you but also make sure that you're keeping the plugin up to date as most probably the fix will only be released as a part of an update.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Leonidas

Hello there Kevin :slight_smile:

Regarding your issue with the php_uname() function, as Adam mentioned, it is used to pass useful system information to AWS for completing managed backups or snapshots with AWS destinations configured.

We have readied a workaround that could bypass this inconvenience and we can apply it directly at Snapshot in your site to see if we can produce the same functionality without actually using php_uname(), in stricter environments like Flywheel hosting. To do so, you can share with us credentials of said site, according to the instructions below:

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: Leonidas Milosis"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- WP Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

After you share the credentials, I can apply the workaround and inform you of its results in this thread.

Best regards,
    Leonidas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.