Snapshot. I can't restore snapshot on other server

I download ZIP file and snapshot-installer.php file from HUB, I upload those files to correct folders, but during the process of restoring a get an error:

We could not locate the wp-config.php file in your backup.
We could not locate the Snapshot manifest file in your backup.

There was a problem with the htaccess file - a line that was duplicated and needed to be deleted. And an issue with the robots.txt so I was told to delete that file from the backup and try again. I did those steps, but now stuck cause it says it can't locate the wp-config, but I checked and it is in the backup zip file.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andra,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have downloaded your backup file and snapshot-installer file and tested it on my test server (which is actually quite a cheap shared hosting account) and I was able to restore the site with no errors at all. The snapshot completed deployment and gave the confirmation message that the process was successful and all the files and database tables where there (properly restored).

I think this is related then to the specifics of the "target location" (the server where you're restoring the site to). That said, I'd like to check it but to be able to do this I'll need a full access to it.

That being said, please send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - admin account login credentials (I'll need it to test the site after resoring it)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include information about the path where the site should be restored to
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Andra

Adam,
    Nahid was able to the site up. He found a fatal error with the Layerslider plugin, so we have disabled that in the meantime, but at least the site is up. I would like to better understand why the restore process did not work on this site like it should have as I rely on this with several other sites too. Any information to better understand if there is something I need to be doing differently to make sure everything works like it should is much appreciated! 5+ days without a website is not good!

Thanks for your help!
    Andra

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andra,

Glad to hear that Nahid was able to help you by getting your site up and running again.

About the issue with backup file not restoring on a different server, the thing is that Snapshot was not designed as migration plugin, and even though we had a number of successful cases where it did work properly it's not guaranteed that it will work in all cases.

We have a migration plugin on our roadmap that will be built specifically for these cases.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.