Snapshot Internal Server Error

I am getting an Internal Server Error when trying to create a snapshot on the site:

NTERNAL SERVER ERROR
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at s***e@***.de to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hey there Philipp Ludwig !
    Hope you are having a great day!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you encountered. I took a closer look into it and investigated further. I tried a couple of backups and checked their logs, for each case, the backup failed during backing the plugins up with the following error in the browser console:

It seems while Snapshot backs up the plugins, the /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php/ encounters a 500 error which stalls the backup process. This file specifically handles all the Ajax requests in the WordPress admin. This kind of errors is usually caused due to something conflicting with another, which is why I'd recommend you to do a full plugin/theme conflict test just to make sure no other plugin(s)/the theme on your site is/are conflicting with SmartCrawl and thus causing the issue. The basic concept is to temporarily disable all the plugins except SmartCrawl and WPMU DEV Dashboard, switch to a default WordPress theme and check if the issue still persists. If it doesn't, please enable all plugins and the theme one after another to see activating which brings back the issue. This handy flowchart can help you do a full plugin/theme conflict test.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes, we'll be looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hey there Philipp Ludwig !
    Hope you are doing well today!

Thank you very much for doing the test for us. I have gathered all the details into a report and escalated it to our Second Level Support team. They'll be back to us with clues, workarounds, and fixes (if possible) for now in this ticket (or we'll be updating the ticket as soon as we hear back from them internally). Please note that the response time of the Second Level Support team might be a bit delayed than that of the general Support staff. We really appreciate your patience regarding this.

Kind regards,
    Nahid

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hi Philipp Ludwig ,

It seems that the server is most likely reaching an I/O limit or a timeout during the zipping process.

Backups are in general resource intensive and we're constantly improving Snapshot to use as less resources as possible.

Since this is a server side issue, you can check with your host if there have been any resource errors ( I/O, CPU usage, Memory limits ) and raise them if possible.

On our end to help for the time being and to be able to run Snapshots, I've "split" the backups into 2 different ones. In your Snapshots list you will find 2 backups taken with my name today so you can replicate them if you like and add them as scheduled as well.

The setup is easy to follow and it is like this:
    One backup is responsible for all the media files and the other for everything else ( database, themes, plugins, config files ).

This way since the process is split the zip is less in size so it requires less resources as well. Please note that in the future ( if the limits of the server can't be raised ) it might need to be split into more parts as well.

Tell me if you need any further information or help with this!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.