Snapshot is having problems with automatic schedules

I have Snapshot installed on many of my sites, but about half are having problems with the weekly scheduled backup at Sunday at midnight.

The problem isn't specific to one server either. Websites even on the same server, and half will have the problem.

Manual seems to always work. Let me know what information you need.

I also saw an update since I scheduled them last week. Do you think that that will help this issue? Thanks.

• Paul

@Mitchell Sholly, Doubtful the recent Snapshot update will help you. The Snapshot scheduling process interfaces with the WordPress scheduler WP_Cron. Basically when you setup a Snapshot scheduled process Snapshot calls the WP_Cron process and asks it to kick off a backup at the specified time. So at that point the execution of the timer logic is owned by WordPress.

The problem is the WP_Cron scheduler needs somewhat regular front-end website traffic prior to the 'execution time' to properly run. So my guess is the sites are probably not getting regular front-end traffic.

A couple of work around suggestions.

1. Don't schedule for Midnight. Do the backup during the lower end of the traffic. Probably will require looking at the visitor stats. You obviously don't want this during the peak period.

2. Via your hosting you should be able to setup UNIX Cron which will be more precise than the lazy WP_Cron. However support for that is beyond what we can offer as it depends on your specific host options. Here is a link to an article that might help http://www.satollo.net/how-to-make-the-wordpress-cron-work

This is a common problem we are having where sites just don't have regular traffic and thus Snapshot backups are not executing. We are trying to figure out a better method. But one that will work for all configurations.

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.