SnapShot Is Not Working in WPMU

I'm trying to find a solution that will allow me to backup a full WPMU site as well as the individual sites separately.

I ran SnapShot for the full backup and get this: An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting.

Any ideas? The time is set pretty low at 30 seconds and I don't have access to change it. The memory limit can't be changed from 64M either.

I thought I would also test a snapshot of the individual sites but don't see a way to do that. Is this possible?

• Alexander

Hi @Brian,

SnapShot won't be able to do a full network backup all at once. However, when network activated you can manage all of the site backups from your network Dashboard. In Multisite, this is how snapshot manages backups instead of them working from the individual sites.

I'm unfamiliar with that error message. I'll need to touch base with the plugin developer to see if he has an idea of what would cause it.

In the meantime, would you mind letting us know if you're using any backups destinations, and what they are? (S3/Dropbox/etc.)

• Paul

Hi @Brian,

I ran SnapShot for the full backup and get this: An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting. Any ideas?

Yeah, Snapshot will attempt to trap some PHP conditions but because PHP installations vary from server to server there is no universal way of handling this. What has happened in some error occurred and force the backup process to abort. 90% of the time this is memory related.

The time is set pretty low at 30 seconds and I don't have access to change it. The memory limit can't be changed from 64M either.

Well if you are not able or allowed to increase the memory limit you might have some issues using Snapshot. This is course depends on your specific setup.

Try going to Snapshots > Settings. Look for the section 'Memory Info'. Can you set this to 128MB or better 250MB? This memory settings is only used during the Snapshot backup/restore processing and not global to your entire site.

I thought I would also test a snapshot of the individual sites but don't see a way to do that. Is this possible?

As Alex commented Snapshot is only able to backup individual sites within your Multisite system. Why you might ask? Simple all other plugin solutions seem to only focus on the whole. We took the niche option to backup individual sites. Our reasoning is that individual backups are much easier to manage. We have many members running very large Multisite systems. There is just no way to perform a single backup which would be many man Gigabytes in size. Plus storing that somewhere for a potential restore seems impossible.

But with individual backups I can set one site to be backedup once weekly while my primary site I can set to be archived daily. Plus I can send one site's archives to Dropbox while I may send some other site's backups to AWS.

• Brian

Ok - I'm more interested in backing up the individual sites anyway so that works for me. When I go to "add new" I'm only shown the main blog as an option. I figured I could just place the extension for the site I want to backup correct? Should I be seeing more than the main blog as an option?

No matter what I try, I'm getting the same abort error at the point when it's saving the files.

I noticed this as well in the settings:
    _SESSION Snapshot uses _SESSIONS to store temporary information about database tables and files during the backup and restore processing. Sessions are a default part of PHP.
    Session save path: /tmp
    Session save path is not a valid directory.
    Session save path is not writeable.

And I can't increase the memory:
    Warning: Unable to update the 'memory_limit' via the PHP function init_set. This means in order in to increased the allowed memory limit for Snapshot you will need to make the change directly in your php.ini file. Contact your host provider for details.

I was given a php.ini file from the hosting company (SEOHOST) with the safe_mode = off function but that didn't seem to do anything either. Can I add code to that file to increase memory?

Thanks for the help.

Brian

• Paul

@Brian,

When I go to "add new" I'm only shown the main blog as an option. I figured I could just place the extension for the site I want to backup correct? Should I be seeing more than the main blog as an option?

See image. When you go to the Add New Snapshot you should be seeing the field 'Blog to backup' and as default it lists the primary blog. There should be a 'change' button shown to the right of the field. Clicking that shows the input. Not sure if you are running sub-domain or sub-directory Multisite install. But are supported. Try entering the domain without the leading http:// or https://

As for the message on _SESSION save path this is somewhat old. Snapshot will still try to use the SESSION save path but if it can't it will try and use a path local to the saved archive. This should default to wp-content/uploads/snapshots/

And I can't increase the memory:

Sorry, not much I can help with as far as the host and the PHP setup. That is quite beyond the level of support I can offer. Every host does things different. Go back and ask them how to use the php.ini they provided.

Let's try something different. My assumption is you are attempting to backup the entire primary site including all files (Media, Themes, Plugins). As a test try unselecting all Files. Also, unselect all tables. Then select only one of the tables. Try to see if you can get that one database table included in the archive. If you are successful try editing the snapshot configuration and adding all the tables but no Files.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.