[SNAPSHOT] local backup

I've got a problem with snapshot local backup, I've put it to run daily but since the 24 of January, there is now a backup.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Michel,

I'm sorry to hear our plugin is not working correctly on your site.

I've checked your staging site and looks like there Snapshot fails on the plugins directory with 503 error.
    So I split snapshot to two parts: files + database (but no plugins) and plugins directory (second snapshot).
    Both Snapshots run correctly

I can see there that size of those two are now much bigger than the last full from 24th. So it looks like site got bigger and that could cause the problem, because max_execution_time is 30 at the moment and it might be not enough.

Could you try dividing backup to two parts on your live site and see if those will run correctly?
    If on your live site max_exection_time is also low, try increasing it (here is tutorial on how to do it https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/ )

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Michel,

I'm so sorry to hear the inconvenience. Let me explain the scenario.

Snapshot creates a backup of your site by creating zip archives. If the amount and size of files in your site are not huge, then it takes lower resources to zip them. If there is a lot of files and some of them are big, then it might require more resources to zip them and might take longer in terms of time. In this process, in some cases, the server times out the process when it crosses a certain threshold and gives an error. That is why Kasia suggested you to increase your max_execution_time value. 120 should be good enough. Please let us know the result with 120.

Moreover, can you please try adding the following lines in your wp-config.php file and save?

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 20);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 20);

Please let us know the result. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Rupok

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Michel ,

I've split the backup into multiple Snapshots. You can see from the list that you'll have:

database-config
    media-2019
    media-2018
    media-2017
    themes-plugins

You can safely restore them even if split but remember to leave the "database-config" as the last restoration point since it contains the database that will eventually check for all the files/media linked in your installation.

It seems that the server is running into either I/O limits or execution time limits. Generally the process is quite slow that gives me the impression that the server doesn't provide much "power" to run a quicker backup. I also see from the FTP that you provided us that you have multiple websites located on the same system. If those sites backups start to run in parallel then they are eventually adding more stress to the server and it's unable to handle all of the requests and file read/write executions.

Unfortunately there's nothing more I could do since this comes down to server restrictions and limitations.

Tell me if you need further information!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.