Snapshot managed backup fails at 50%

Snapshot Managed backups will not complete, it seems to get stuck on around 50%.

• Pawel
    • Staff

Hello Brent!

I hope you're well today and thank you for reaching out to us!

I continued Vaughan's debugging efforts where he left off. I see there are a couple of things we can do to get to the bottom cause of this issue.

I tried running Managed Backups with a couple more lines added to your wp-config.php:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'SNAPSHOT_BACKTRACE_ALL', true );
    define( 'SNAPSHOT_SYSTEM_DEBUG_OUTPUT', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Those enable more extended debugging. The snapshot failed with an error message: "Other kind of error" and the logs contain information about issues with the WordFence plugin you are using. Can you please temporarily disable WordFence and try running a Managed Backup then?

Also, there was a large error_log file in the root directory of your site (200MB+), so I renamed it to error_log.bak so that a new file will be create in its place.

I also noticed you are running an old version of WordPress on that site. Is it possible for you to make an upgrade to see if that helped fix the issue?

One other option I'd like to suggest in the meantime is to contact your hosting's support and ask them if they have any information regarding activity on your site. By this I mean if there were any actions performed like stopping execution of scripts due to increased activity. Some hosts do this if they are strict about enforcing resource usage and this may stop Snapshot from completing.

Also, please note that Managed Backups will include every file located in the root directory of the site. Please check, as I can see there are some non-WordPress folders and they may not be needed, while at the same time they can increase the size of the backup.

Kind regards,
    Pawel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.