Snapshot Managed Backups on Localhost

Hi,

Should Snapshot's managed backups work on local dev sites?

I built a site on my Mac using AMPPS. The site is ready to be deployed and I figured it would be easiest to use the cloud backup feature of snapshot.

However, the backup process remains on 0% - should this work or is there a better way to deploy to a live site?

• Rupok

Hi aTz,

Should Snapshot's managed backups work on local dev sites?

Yes. It should work absolutely fine on local dev sites. I just created one managed backup of one of my local sites. So it should work fine for you too.

However, I'll suggest you use a unique custom hostname for your local site so it doesn't conflict with any other sites. For example, my dev site custom hostname is rupok3626.dev and I'm using MAMP PRO. Chances are very low that someone else will have that exact domain and any conflict will arise.

If your managed backup process is stuck at 0%, then it's stuck for some other reason I believe. Can you please confirm your AMPPS can access our servers without any issue?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• aTz

Hi Rupok,

I have now uploaded the site to a staging site on my server via softaculous.
    I tried making a snapshot from this "live" site and still got the same problem.

Eventually the 0% progres bar changed to an error message saying "! Empty response"
    Last night after also trying this, my server started making CORE dump files like crazy (about 280MB each, every 2 to 5 minutes) and it only stopped after disabling my plugins.

I do believe it may have something to do with snapshot, although I don't know how to manually review CORE files and don't have shell access on the server.

PS: When checking, there is a new "full_backup..." zip file in the uploads/snapshots directory, but it's not registered in the snapshot app, nor uploaded to WPMUDEV cloud.

Any ideas here?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello aTz,

If the backup is on server but does not show in the cloud that means that there was problem with uploading it to the cloud.

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Also, can you enable debug mode in your WordPress? To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to service like a Dropbox and paste link here.

You will need to run managed snapshot again in order to generate the log.

kind regards
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.