Snapshot Managed Backups will not work

I am coming back after our chat this morning, about the fact that I can no longer use the managed backup feature in Snapshot.
I asked my host to modify the php.ini file. Here is their answer:
We can set the max execution time to 300 temporarily but we can't leave it like so indefinitely. We also can't switch off the open_basedir php option for any website.
Is there any way you can help me.

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well today. Sorry to hear that you are facing some issues with Snapshot. I have checked your site and I see Snapshot is not installed. However based on the chat history, I can see your server doesn't meet the requirement to run the process. open_basedir needs to be disabled and you need minimum 150s of execution time set. I think this should be standard in all standard hosting. I understand some hosting provider who use shared host might not disable any settings for particular site. In that case you need to choose the best solution for you. Perhaps a better managed hosting or an alternative for the backup. I am afraid Snapshot won't work perfectly unless your site meets the requirements.

Let me know if I could assist further on this.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Nazmul

• Greg

Dear Nazmul,
    Between the time I had a chat with you and the moment I deactivated the plug-in on my website, I had a chat with my hosting company.
    They take care of backups on their end. They also take care of security and performance.

I'm really glad for my hosting provider, I think the ration cost/benefits is the best of the market!
    It might even be a little bit weird to say, but I find that their support team is even better than yours (don't worry, you're top 2, that's still a silver medal !)

Anyways, I'm surprised about these restrictions, it is the first time that I heard about something like this with this hosting company.
    Would you be able to tell me the consequences of disabling open_basedir on my website?

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well. It's good to hear that you got help from the provider regarding the backup. However as you are interested, let me explain this a bit. open_basedir can be used to limit the files that can be accessed by PHP to the specified directory-tree, including the file itself. When a script tries to access the filesystem, for example using include, or fopen(), the location of the file is checked. When the file is outside the specified directory-tree, PHP will refuse to access it.

Basically, open_basedir tells PHP which directories a script can interact with other than the directory it is located in.

So when you are restricting such function, a plugin like Snapshot that needs to have control to your file, won't be able to access the files to create the backup or something. So it's very important for the plugin, right? And now if you think about the consequences of disabling open_basedir, it doesn't really affect your security unless you use any plugin with such permission or if someone get into your server to run a script. It doesn't really considered as security layer but to be overprotective, most of the shared host turned that off simply because they are shared and don't want to mess up between sites I guess. If you search on Google, you might get some information about that if you want to learn more.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Nazmul

• Nazmul H. Rupok

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well. It looks like related to your server but I am not sure if SmartCrawl requires open_basedir disabled or not. It looks more like permission issue or execution time. I hope it will be addressed on the other ticket by my colleague. If you have other server, you can create a staging site with a copy of your site to check the functionality if possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Nazmul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.