Snapshot migration fails

Tried to restore the Managed Backup by downloading and importing from the site's backend and also by using the snapshot-installer.php but none works. When I tried from Snapshot > Managed Backup restore, it shows a popup to download admin.php and when I tried using snapshot-installer.php it shows snapshot-installer.php file to download.

• James Morris

Hello Heather,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

The problem you were running into with the snapshot-installer.php file was the .htaccess from the source site was being copied over to the destination site and there were directives in that file that rendered PHP unusable on the new host. Thus, PHP files were being forced to download.

I've manually overcome this issue and migrated your site for you. You should be able to login and access everything correctly.

Let us know if you have any further issues. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Heather

Hello again James,
    I am having the same problem with that site. It is downloading php files instead of running them and I can't use the dashboard or view the site. Could you please help? I did not make any changes to the htaccess file since you fixed it. What might be happening? I'd like to know how to prevent this from happening and I'm baffled and the client is frustrated. I really appreciate your help!

Edit: I should mention that once the site was migrated to new.pwndurango.com, I replaced what had been at pwndurango.com with the site at new.pwndurango.com. This was done through Godaddy, to get the site off of the managed WP host and onto a cpanel host (you have credentials to that cpanel). So perhaps something still needs to be adjusted somewhere now that the site is on the main domain? And is there a problem with the php version perhaps? I'm not a programmer or sys administrator so my expertise with the "guts" is really limited and I'm worried of causing greater damage if I try to muck around myself. Thank you so much for your time!

• Heather

I did chat with Nithin Ramdas and replaced the /wp-admin and /wp-includes folders with freshly-downloaded WP4.9 versions. But when I browse to pwndurango.com I still get a downloaded php file instead of a site. I wonder whether it's a php version problem. Nithin gave me a new .htaccess file and after I replaced it, the site loaded until I tried to change and save a setting from within the WP dashboard. That seemed to break things again. When I looked at the .htaccess file after it broke, I saw a line had been added specifying the php version. The site is still down and any help is greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

• James Morris

Hello Heather,

I hope you are well today.

There were a few minor issues that had to be cleared up. Basically, there were some files and file modifications specific to your old host that were carried over to your new host that were incompatible.

First, you had the following directive in your .htaccess which was causing problems.

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php70s .php

This is not required on your current host and is why the PHP files were downloading instead of being parsed.

You had several files in you wp-content/mu-plugins/ folder that are specific to your old host. I disabled the mu-plugins my renaming the directory to _mu-plugins.

Finally, your PHP version was set to 7.1.x but this version doesn't seem to play nicely with your site. I've switched you to the more well-supported PHP 7.0.x branch.

The site seems to be loading quickly now. Please check to make sure everything is working correctly.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Heather

JAMES!!!! You are a lifesaver! I had noticed that php line in the .htaccess file. It was being added back even after I would remove it and that was a mystery to me. The site seems great now. Did the php version change fix it? Because I assume the Godaddy hosting system is adding that line to the .htaccess file automatically. I never touched it, but it would always reappear. Are you confident this is stable? I would really love to have this be fixed. LOL. :smiley:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.