[Snapshot] Need help migrating a site to another location with Snapshot

I am attempting to migrate a multisite to another single site location. I was instructed to create a snapshot backup and import it into a clean site however, the plugins did not come with the backup.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ryan

I hope you’re fine today!

I know this is related to your other post about extracting single site from multisite and I apologize I for keeping you waiting for response there for too long. I see that Kasia suggested Snapshot there to start with and I’d suggest the same.

However, even though we are both suggesting it, it’s not a typical “migration tool” and there are possible issue so in some cases it would work out of the box but in some it might need additional “help” in the process.

That said, I checked the site and I think the lab… site (the new single one) is now running fine. There are still some “tweaks’ that should be done but let me explain the process that worked:

1) I have logged in to the original multisite and slightly changed “Training Lab 2” snapshot settings (take a look there, you’ll see how it’s set up now); then I created new snapshot using updated configuration and downloaded it to my local drive

2) I’ve access the “lab…” site and checked it; on the “plugins” page it said there’s no plugins currently so I tried to install Snapshot manually and that didn’t work; I assumed that there might be something wrong with install

3) so I accessed it over FTP and re-uploaded all the WordPress 5.2 files there (except for .htaccess and wp-config.php), overwriting existing ones, from the fresh WP install zip file

4) I installed Snapshot plugin (this time it worked)

5) and uploaded backup file to “/wp-content/uploads/snapshots” folder

6) then went to “Snapshot -> Import” in the “lab…” site back-end and imported the backup to the plugin

7) then I restored that backup

At this point I didn’t do absolutely anything on site (it’s important!), I just left it “as is” and continued as follows

8) I confirmed via FTP that no plugins and themes were uploaded

9) so I have extracted the backup file to my local drive and manually uploaded entire “wp-content” folder from inside the “www” folder of the backup to the new site via FTP, overwriting existing files

10) only after that I checked the site again

Everything seems to be in place now. Following that process you shoudl be able extract also other sub-sites/move them to other single-setups.

What you might need to do, however, would be to update URLs/paths as the domain has changed. For this, I’d recommend using Better Search Replace plugin – you will want to use it to search for the original site URL and replace it with new one.

This should do the trick, I believe.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Ryan

Thank you for updating me here and I’m glad I could help!

For future reference: in case you’d want to “extract” some other sub-site from Multisite or the same one but move it to yet another server – you can just follow the steps that we came up with here (as described in posts earlier) and it should do the job :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m happy to hear it’s now working for you :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.