snapshot no progress

When I go to setup a manual snapshot (whether I select a lot of items or just a few) and then schedule for now it shows the screen with the progress bars, but nothing happens. It just sits there. Any ideas? I have a similar setup on other websites that work ok.

• Spiritap
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for the help. I had the memory limit set at max. I installed your beta version and it still didn’t work. While looking through settings I saw that my php.ini had 256 mb for memeory, but only 32mb in the wp-config. I changed that to 256mb and bingo! it worked. Ran a DB backup no problems. Doing a full site backup to dropbox now.

One more question. What will this plugin do when drobbox account runs out of space?Does it rotate out old backups? send me a message?

Thanks!!

• Spiritap

Well, the full site dropbbox backup never finished. It gets through the tables, then to the files and makes it to 50% on media, and stops. There is a large amount of iamges on the site, but it should be able to handle it. I have a tar.gz full site backup from the host that is 154 MB. I ran this twice with the same results, it jsut seems to sit there and not doing anything. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, Well that 154Mb file might be an issue for Dropbox anyway. See the Dropbox API only allows to send files less than 150M.

But back to Snapshot. Does the backup ever finish? Or you are saying the backup just stops? Is this 154Mb file in the path of the Snapshot files? If so then my recommendation it to move it or exclude it via Snapshot. Otherwise Snapshot is trying to add this large file to an existing archive.

In the new Snapshot 2.0.4 there I’ve made some slight changes to the manual backup processing to show the memory used during the backup. Maybe this will help.

Let me know.

• Spiritap

Hello,

The 154 mb is not in the backups, that is a backup file I downloaded to my computer of the entire site which is 154mb. I was just trying to say that that is the total size of the site.

It get’s through all the databases, then starts to backup the files and jsut sits there at

Files: : media 50% and doesn’t do anything. I left it there for several hours and no more response.

For memeory use it shows-

Memory:

Limit256M

Usage:67.75M

Peak:70M

So I just ran it without backing up the media library (which is the biggest because of lots of images) and it ran all the way through to the end. SO i guess it’s a size limit issue? That it freezes in the middle of owrking on the media files?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, Apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner. So you were able to backup things by excluding the media. Hmm. Are you running any caching plugins? When you select media it is really the /wp-content/uploads/ directory. Not just the media. Some cache plugins create cache files there is might need to exclude these in Snapshot. It is hard to say at this point.

Have you tried setting a scheduled snapshot? Maybe that one will eventually finish.

• Spiritap

Hello!

No caching plugins going. I am selecting “MEdia Files:wp-content/uploads” from the drop down under “What to Archive?”

I tried settin gup a automatic every hour to my dropbox yesterday and nothing has happened. Nothing in drop box and nothing listed on the “All Snapshots” page udner the “Archives” for that particular snapshot.

It does show completed archives under the other manual snapshots I’ve done, but again none are showing up in dropbox, however the snapshot program did create the directory apps-wpmu dev snapshot folder, but it’s empty.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap

No caching plugins going. I am selecting “MEdia Files:wp-content/uploads” from the drop down under “What to Archive?”

Hmm. Still sounds like you are hitting a limit and nothing is finishing. Any idea how large you media folders are?

As for the Dropbox. you should not need to create the folder. Dropbox does that for you. Just to be clear the folder Snapshot uploads to is /App/WPMU DEV Snapshot To get the files to Dropbox you need to have regular front-end traffic to your site.

This might be easier if I can see this first hand or try using my own Dropbox from your site.

• Spiritap

Hello,

I’m not sure the size, but it’s big. OVer 100 MB. But it doesn’t seem to get the backup over to dropbox even without the uploads folder.

Yes w ehave lots of fornt end traffic.

Yes, I understand it puts the snapshots in /App/WPMU DEV but there is nothing going there.

SHould I send you login access so you can check it out? Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, Wanted to provide an update. Working in your system this morning. I had to disabled the plugins: Wordfence Security and WP-Cron Control.

On the Wordfence security. Once I deactivated it I was able to run full backup all file and tables.

On the WP-Cron once deactivated I was able to get the WPCron to kick off at regular intervals.

I did find a big in my code related to scheduled tasks not including files. This was a one line typo. This is now working. I’ve setup a new snapshot for my testing that is sent to my own Dropbox. I also enabled one of your entries (the second in the list) to run hourly.

So far things look like they are running smooth. I’ll go in later today to check. If all looks good I’ll delete my testing dropbox.

• Spiritap

Great. thanks for the update!

Will we be able to get it to work with cron control and wordfence?

I has having server cpu over usage so I had to setup cron control as one of the steps to help reduce server usage.

I setup wordfence as they wanted a really good security protection because it’s a big hit on their business if the site is ever down.

Thanks again!

• Spiritap

Hello,

Any luck with this? you think it’s both of those? I do have wordfence on another site (no cron control on that site) with snapshot working ok. Although it’s not the “professional” level of wordfence. Thanks for the help!

• Spiritap

Hello,

Any updates on this? Any idea which of the plugins is conflicting? Would really like to have the security system backup at least. My subscription here might be ending in a few weeks so I’d love some help before then. Thanks

• Spiritap

OK, that fixed it.

SO I ran an imeedaite backup to my dropbox, it said it completed sucessfully. But checking my dropbox account there was nothing in there. There are some backups from nov 9th in there. any ideas? Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, That message is probably just that the building of the archive is complete. At the end of the log you should see a further message indicating the archive file was delivered to Dropbox. It will display the archive zip filename as well as the destination folder on Dropbox.

The building and sending is two steps with Snapshot. The first step is will build the archive locally. And this is immediate as you wait. The sending however can take some time depending on how large the archive is. So we split this to be driven by WPCron to schedule the delivery. This is so that the admin does not navigate away from the screen thinking the process is hung.

Try setting the schedule to once an hour and see if the files eventually make it to your Dropbox.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Hmm. Should obviously been pushed on the hour. As long as you have regular front-end traffic. Next I guess check the logs.

So from the main All Snapshots listing look in the far right column 'Archive'. This will show the link to the archive section for this row item. Click on it. Then start at the bottom and view the logs. Or download then and post then here so I can see what is going on.

Normally at the very bottom of the log you will see something like the attached image.

• Spiritap

Looks like it was running about every hour. I have selected all files and all tables. It’s 183.82 MB But still nothing in dropb box. Attached is most recent log file. Nothing there at all about dropbox at the bottom.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, yeah is a problem with Dropbox. Per their published API, which Snapshot uses, they limit file sizes to be under 150Mb.

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/api#files_put see the Notes section

Next you are going to create two new Snapshot configurations. One configuration will be to Dropbox but will only include your media section. The second Snapshot configuration will contain your database, plugins and theme files. This should split up your data to be each under 150Mb.

As an alternate to the 150Mb limit I’m working with another member to to syncing. So instead of sending 150+mb zip archive daily Snapshot will sync your theme, plugins, media files so that as you make a change on your site like uploading images these will be pushed individually to your specified Dropbox destination. So in effect mirroring your /wp-content/ folders to Dropbox.

Plus Dropbox provides versioning automatically.

• Spiritap

Hello,

Well I setup ttwo backups, one for the media and one for everything else. The everything else is making it over to dropbox fine, but the media one isn’t. It’s at 133MB so it should be under the limit. Any other ideas? It’s set to go once daily. Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, Site tight. I’ll have a beta of the upcoming Snapshot 2.2 in the morning. The new screen allows you to see the progress right on the screen. Plus this new version will do what Dropbox calls ‘chunked’ uploads. Any file over 20M will be sent in parts. Thus overcoming the 150Mb limit.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap,

Can you provide any details as to what is going on. From my perspective I can’t guess at the issue. Can you view the log file? Is the file even attempting to be sent to Dropbox. On the All Snapshots listing you should see the percent upload. And you can follow the log via the new ‘Now’ link. What can you tell me about what is occurring on your site?

• Spiritap

All the ones that aren’t going through (which is just 133 MB of the media) say “archives: complete”, “” desitatination: pending”

It seems to be running everday at night look it’s supposed too. Attached is the most recent log.

I did just check my other back up (that backs up the rest of the site) which I thought was working, but I guess it isn’t now. This was at the end of the log-

2013-01-10 17:37:33: Sending file: snapshot-1354916333-121227-010330-6080ac18.zip 52.06M

2013-01-10 17:37:33: Destination: dropbox: dropbox

2013-01-10 17:38:33: Sending to Dropbox Directory:disappointed:

2013-01-10 17:38:33: ERROR: Forbidden. This could mean a bad OAuth request, or a file or folder already existing at the target location.

So now it seems both aren’t working. Perhaps you can look at it again?? Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, Not a problem. Thursdays are Snapshot support days. So I’m re-opening this thread.

Can you share the log on the latest Snapshot attempts. In one of your previous posts there was mention of the OAuth error. Since it has been a while can we do the following.

1. Go to Snapshot > Destinations and edit the Dropbox account. You should see the checkbox to force re-authorization. Check that and go through the process of re-connecting your site to your Dropbox account. You will not loose anything. This is regenerates the OAuth keys used be Snapshot.

2. On your Dropbox verify you have plenty of available space. Believe it or not I have some members already this month who were close to their limit.

3. Once you have done this let the Snapshot try to send the existing archive. Give us some snippets of the snapshot log files to see if there were errors.

4. Report back to this thread. Thanks.

• Spiritap

Hello,

I went through all the steps. I have 2gb free in dropbox.

I reran the smaller archive (backups everythign except my media) – 53 MB, and it’s stil not showing up. At the end of the log it just says-

2013-01-28 18:42:45: memory limit: 256M: memory usage current: 57.5M: memory usage peak: 62.5M

2013-01-28 18:42:45: finish: snapshot-1354916333-130128-184155-8d5db096.zip

Ideas?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@spiritap, Can I get you to upgrade to Snapshot 2.3.1 I worked on cleaning up some of the logic for cron processing. Mainly when you click the ‘run now’ it was not always running now.

Some other questions:

1. On the All Snapshots listing how many items are listed? Reason I ask is if the log entry you provided doesn’t yet have the entries for the destination then it is possible Snapshot is processing some other item first. Generally is will process (send) older files first.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.