Snapshot not able to restore the archive

There's a backup made with Snapshot ("Snapshot -> Snapshots"), that's been pushed to Amazon.
Upon each restore attempt, there's a manifest not found error (even though the manifest file is inside the zip archive).
This happens regardless whether the file is imported ("Snapshot -> Import") directly from Amazon or uploaded to /wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder.
Please note: The archive is huge, over 1.8GB

  • Lindeni Mahlalela

    Hell Bill,

    I hope you are doing great today. I am really sorry that you are having a problem using our snapshot plugin. Thank you so much for reporting this issue and we hope to resolve it as soon as we can.

    I have checked your website and attempted to restore a Snapshot but unfortunately I didn't encounter the error relating to manifest not not but instead I go an error stating that the archive itself was not found. I tried this several times by attempting to import by scanning the local folder, I got the same error saying the archive file could not be found.

    I then checked the backups folder via FTP and noticed that there are no backup archives in there which means they were not properly imported from Amazon S3. So I ran another fresh backup which resulted in a file size of 3.36 GB which may suggest that the previous backup was incomplete or corrupt as it was 1.8GB unless your site grew so fast in a few days.

    I then imported the Snapshot from the Amazon S3 link and got the following errors:

    PHP max_execution_time: 900s

    First this suggests that the process timed out. If it did then the backup was not imported successfully which may lead to the manifest error:

    Error: Manifest data not found in archive.

    It is possible that it got to this because the process timed out which resulted in an incomplete or corrupt archive.

    The most important part is that I have downloaded the file to my test server and tried to unzip it using the command line, here is what I got:

    [root@cp2 snapshot]# unzip gtw-new-1504731014-170906-205014-a0b83b5a.zip
    Archive:  gtw-new-1504731014-170906-205014-a0b83b5a.zip
    error [gtw-new-1504731014-170906-205014-a0b83b5a.zip]:  start of central directory not found;
      zipfile corrupt.
      (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
      appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

    This alone shows that the zip archive is corrupt and that is why the manifest file is not extracted resulting in the "Manifest data not found in archive." error. I noted above that recreating the Snapshot resulted in a much bigger archive which explains why the archive is corrupt (because its not complete).

    After regenerating the Snapshot, I was able to run a restore and it was successful:

    This means the main issue here was that the backup archive was corrupt and thus Snapshot was unable to extract the manifest data from it.

    I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further issues with regards to this.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.