Snapshot not backing up

Have snapshot on other sites and they are running with no issues, on this site however… every time i select “run backup” and it goes to about 2% and then stops.

All of our sites have the same PHP settings for execution time and what not so i don’t know why this site is having issues ( its a smaller site then others we have).

I have tried flushing cache and re installing the plugin, same issue every time.

The pre check it does gives me a “Pass” every time as well.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Cats Media

Are you trying regular snapshot or managed backup?

Also, it seems there is an error which stops the backup procedure. Would you please enable debug mode and check if there is any error? To enable debug mode please go to wp-config.php and change

define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

to

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

Now, run another backup. When it stucks for long time, that will create a file called debug.log inside wp-content folder. Open that file, check the very bottom and you will see the latest errors. Please send me those.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Cats Media
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Trying to do managed backups, we use this for automatic backups for our clients so its important to get this fixed.

Here is the errors i found in a different area, the way you described did not work, no file was created. Here are the PHP error logs. The JS paste you will see i disabled and tried it again and it had no effect. Seems like the first attempt i do will sit at 0% forever and then when i try a second time it goes to 2% and then gives me a failed notice.

Errors are attached.

Screen Cap Attached from failed backup attempt.

• Cats Media
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

i guess i cant send the log separate. here it is:

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:06 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:08 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:08 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:28 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:28 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:49 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:35:52 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:36:08 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:36:59 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:37:22 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:37:27 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes/admin-settings.php on line 19

[13-Aug-2019 13:37:49 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: response in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-js-paste/simple-js-paste-includes-update-checker.php on line 38

[13-Aug-2019 13:38:36 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:42:10 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:42:12 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:42:46 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:42:49 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:42:54 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:42:56 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:43:04 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:43:06 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:48:39 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 13:48:39 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:02:30 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:02:55 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:02:56 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:04:18 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:26:24 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:37:02 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:40:31 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:43:37 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:46:03 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 14:46:47 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 15:13:40 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 15:13:43 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 15:14:09 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

[13-Aug-2019 15:19:36 UTC] PHP Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/bradmin/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Cats Media,

Please do note that we reply to tickets based on queue order so that all the tickets are looked upon equally, multiples replies in a ticket would bring the ticket down the queue.

Thanks for sharing the debug log, however, I’m afraid, the logs don’t help much in giving a better idea regarding the issue.

We would like to further troubleshoot regarding this, could you please send us your website credentials, so that we could give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

– To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas

-WordPress admin username

-WordPress admin password

-login URL

-FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference

-any other relevant URLs

Please do follow up on the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Cats Media,

I do understand you, and sorry for any delays regarding this. Thanks for sending in the login credentials, regarding the Snapshot not creating Managed Backups issues noticed as shared in your previous screenshot.

I went further and troubleshooted the issue, and could nice that the debug.log files aren’t getting created. I added the following tweaks to improve the backup process in the wp-config.php file:

define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE', 104857600);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_USE_PRECACHE', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_ATTEMPT_SYSTEM_BACKUP', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS', true);

define( 'SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'pclzip' );

But I’m afraid the issue still exists. Also, tested further by excluding existing large zip files in your server-side, but it didn’t improve the backup process.

I have increased the server resources via the .user.ini file in the root directory by increasing the values for the respective:

max_execution_time = 800
    memory_limit = 1024M
    post_max_size = 512M
    upload_max_filesize = 256M

But I’m afraid, it didn’t help much. This would require further troubleshooting, and I have escalated the ticket to our Second Level Support(SLS) to see what’s being missed with the backup to works, and what further could be done to improve the process.

Please do note that SLS works on complex issues, and have a slow response time. Will keep you posted once we get further feedback regarding the status of the issue asap.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Cats Media,

Thanks for sharing more details will let our team know regarding this. It’s better to troubleshoot the issue one website at a time. Once the issue with the current reported website is troubleshooted further, you could check the same workaround helps with hobbyfarmforsaleontario.ca/ website too.

If these websites are hosted on the same server, the issue might be related. Will keep you updated once we get further feedback from the SLS team asap.

Regards,

Nithin

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hello Cats Media,

Apologies for the delay, I followed the guide below:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/snapshot-pro-managed-backup-not-completing#post-1410808

I installed the MU plugin as a new plugin, also added these configs in the wp-config.php file:

// snapshot
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 2000);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLES_CHUNK_SIZE', 2);
    // snapshot MU
    define('SNAPSHOT_ENABLE_SYNC_ACTIVE_THEME', true);

And also follow the guide to manual sync all plugins and theme. After that, the backup file was created successfully.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Tho Bui

• Cats Media
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for getting this sites backups works, since we have this issue on a few other sites I tried to apply the plugin (following the guide) to phhf.ca and its been sitting at: “We are trying to create a sync backup file, please try a cup while waiting!” for 4 hours now. is this normal? just want to know how long this can take and if I missed any steps since we need to do this 5 more times.

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hey there Cats Media,

Sorry to hear about that. If you using default WP Cron, sometime you need to trigger the Cron by reloading the site. And you should see the running process as the screenshot attached. After that wait time for the process running, sometimes you can reload to see how is going. Or if you access the Ftp/server you can check the process is completed if the file snapshot-sync…..zip exist in the folder uploads/snapshot/.

If still need my help, would you able to provide us with full access credentials to it so I could help.

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.

Instead, you can send me your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Tho Bui"

– Site login URL

– WordPress admin username

– WordPress admin password

– FTP credentials (host/username/password)

– cPanel credentials (host/username/password) – That's great than Ftp, sometimes I can increase the max_execution_time via Cpanel.

Kind Regards,

Tho Bui

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hello Cats Media ,

Apologizes for the delay, about this site the backup is stuck when the backup file size is large. So I exclude all year’s upload folders before 2019, also added these configs to wp-config.php file:

// Snapshot
    define('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'pclzip');
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 2000);

// Snapshot MU
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLES_CHUNK_SIZE', 3);
    define('SNAPSHOT_MANUAL_SYNC_FOLDERS', serialize([
      'wp-content/languages'
    ]));
    define('SNAPSHOT_MANUAL_SYNC_UPLOAD_BEFORE', date('Y') );

And followed the guide to manual sync all plugins and themes. After that, the backup file created successfully, I followed this in recent days. But while backup processing your site looks too low.

Kind Regards,
    Tho Bui

• Cats Media
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, these responses are taking a very long time for an important issue.

I see now the backups are working on PHHF now, thanks.

This seems like a very “hacky” way to get a plugin to work, there’s nothing different on these sites compared to the other ones that are working, we have sites that are substantially larger and work no problem. If I need to add all this extra stuff to the config file.. then fine but it feels very flimsy and doesn’t really explain why certain sites work and others don’t. I will follow the guide and add these additional lines into the config file on the next one to see if it works, but I’m almost certain it will still have issues.

If you need to add a plugin to make another one work and then add code to files to make it work… maybe the plugin just doesn’t work very well and should be updated? Just a thought to pass along to whoever… thanks.

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hey there Cats Media ,

In some case, if the performance of a site is pretty low for the real size, and it’s not working with managed backup (scheduled) then it’s hard to make this works. This MU plugin is additional (temp fix) for some sites have I/O low or the large’s site and need to reduce the requests.

Instead of trying to backup all files, database in onetime, this MU will prepare a standard backup file that included all core folders (wp-admin, wp-includes), database, all attachments in uploads folder small than 1MB, all plugins, themes( if we manual synced them) and in your case is all year’s upload folders before current year (SNAPSHOT_MANUAL_SYNC_UPLOAD_BEFORE).
    And on the next backup process, we will only need to back up the rest of files, tables. But in that case, the media files or database is not up to date at the backup time. This is why we can’t add this to the core. And about the performance, our devs are still trying to improve it.

Kind Regards,
    Tho Bui

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.