Snapshot - not backing up - no log files

Hi there,
I installed snapshot for an external FTP backup, and the "test connection" button confirms that the connection is fine.

When I than launch a "run now" snapshot, I get feedback that it's being run but nothing actually gets done. I checked for log files but can't find them. Neither in the plugin folder, nor in any of the snapshot folders in the wp-contents/uploads/snapshot folder...

It's really bugging me and I don't understand where I need to start looking.

It's WP3.81 on PHP 5.3 with all the bells and whistles...

Any idea? Thanks a lot!!

• sannymedia.com

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your reply. I did indeed wait (around one day), but no archive was created.
    Let me share my server details with you, although everything is up to date etc...
    Regarding the compression libraries, I have tried both ziparchive and pclzip..

Interestingly enough, I was using xcloner before installing snapshots, and it works just fine..
    I prefer snapshot though as the UI is nicer for my client and it seems well designed..

Any other ideas as to why I can't get this working?
    Thanks for your help!

WordPress Version 	3.8.1
    PHP Version 	5.3.3
    MySQL Version 	5.1.69
    Is Multisite 	No
    WP_CRON 	Snapshot uses WP_CRON to run automated backups. If you have disabled WP_CRON via your wp-config.php you will not be able to schedule snapshots.
    WP_CRON Enabled.
    WP_CRON Lock timeout: 60
    Folder Permissions 	Writable (2777) – /wp-content/uploads/snapshots
    Writable (2777) – /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_backup
    Writable (2777) – /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_locks
    Writable (2777) – /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_logs
    Writable (2777) – /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_restore
    OpenSSL 	The OpenSSL Apache module is require to make secure connections with destinations like Dropbox and Amazon AWS.
    OpenSSL installed
    cURL 	cURL is used when connecting to remote destinations like Dropbox and Amazon AWS.
    cURL installed
    Version: 7.19.7
    SSL Version: NSS/3.14.0.0
    Libz Version: 1.2.3
    Protocols: tftp, ftp, telnet, dict, ldap, ldaps, http, file, https, ftps, scp, sftp
    PHP runtime information
    Display Errors 	Off
    Error Reporting 	Off - E_ERROR, E_WARNING
    Magic Quotes 	Off
    Max Execution Time (seconds) 	600 The value displayed can be adjusted by Snapshot PHP scripts.
    Memory Limit 	256M - WP_MEMORY_LIMIT defined by WordPress wp-config.php.
    256M - WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT defined automatically by WordPress
    Open Basedir 	Off
    Safe Mode 	Off
    ZLib Compression 	Off
  • Paul

@sannymedia.com,

Any other ideas as to why I can't get this working?

Is it just the 'run now' option? Edit your Snapshot item. Look for the section 'When to Backup'. Not he drop down in that section select 'Run Immediate'. Then go to the bottom of the form and submit. This puts Snapshot in interactive mode. If any errors come up they will be reported on the screen.

The 'run now' option does not actually run the process. This like the scheduling option in the 'When to Archive' section simply registers a process with the WordPress WP_Cron schedule to run at some time in the future. It is up to the WP_Cron scheduler to actually call the snapshot function at the time specified. IF you are having trouble with the 'run now' it may be related to your WordPress WP_Cron setup.

• Paul

@sannymedia.com

Hi, I don't think that's the issue, as the snapshot hasn't run a single time despite the schedule. It's just not generating it and there aren't any log files I can look in to..

My last reply was really not a question. More the first step in trying to help you. I'm trying to figure out if snapshot will create an archive at all. Saying the scheduled snapshots are not running leave too many other area unconfirmed.

So what I'm attempting is to determine if snapshot can create an archive on your site via the interactive method. Then we will get to troubleshoot the scheduling.

• Paul

@sannymedia.com

Or if you prefer you can grant us access to your wp-admin then I'll be able to test things myself to see what is going on. Saves a lot of back and forth.

You can enable support access via :

WordPress Dashboard >> WPMU DEV Dashboard >> Support >> Staff Access >> Grant Access.

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.