Snapshot not backing up to Dropbox

Snapshot isnt backing up the site to Dropbox and I dont know why?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I have checked your site and created new dropbox connection to my account and also created test snapshot which was uploaded to my dropbox without any issues.

First thing to note is that it can take some time for your snapshot to appear in Dropbox so it could be just a waiting game.

If that's not the case you should try removing your Dropbox destination from Snapshot settings and connecting again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

That's strange, can you try editing my test snapshot on your site, select to Run Immediately and select your Dropbox account as location, now save it and once the snapshot finishes wait for about 10 minutes and then check if it's there.
    This will tell us if it's perhaps related to the specific snapshot instead of Dropbox destination.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David!

I accessed your site and run (using "Run Immediately") snapshot. According to logs it was successful and should now be in your Dropbox account. Could you please access your Dropbox account directly and make sure that the snapshot archive is there in selected destination? The destination would be:

/Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/kiwi-bed

I have also set snapshot to be run every hour so let's wait about 2-3 hours and see if it's running and sending files properly. Would you please re-check your Dropbox account in around 3 hours from now (or any time later) and let me know if files are there?

Best regards,
    Adam

• David

Hi,
    Well theres a snapshot in the Dropbox now but only the one.... shouldnt there be more?

A further linked question on the assumption this is working...
    I want to keep probably 2 snapshots on my Dropbox
    when Snapshot creates an archive Im assuming its complete, ie not incremental based on changes?
    I dont want to keep any locally on the hosting server so they dont take up local space, I am concerned it will begin to fill up the hosting space (for instance Kiwibed) is 250MB website. When making a Snapshot it asks me "Maximum number of local archives" inferring this is copies kept on the hosting server??? BUT it doesnt ask me the number of remote copies to be saved??
    Please can you advise the best settings I should set the "snapshot" for given my want?

Lastly I havent yet tried to restore a snapshot but am again assuming it restores the site completyely and as was? can it be to a new host and/or domain?

Thanks

• Milan

Hello David

Hope you are well today ?

Well theres a snapshot in the Dropbox now but only the one.... shouldnt there be more?

When your snapshot runs again at scheduled time, plugin will add its copy at dropbox location. If I am not wrong you have only took snapshot once. Right, ? If this is the case then just to be sure its taking snapshot more than once and uploading it to dropbox you can re-run it again. Just go to Snapshots > All Snapshots > Run Now

After re-running it, please wait for time as plugin needs some time to upload it to dropbox destination.

Furthermore each snapshot provides detailed information about each of its archived copy at Snapshot > All Snapshots > <edit any one> > All Archived > Logs Columns > View/Download

So conclusion is that you will have more than one copy of snapshot once there are more than one archives of snapshot. :slight_smile:

I dont want to keep any locally on the hosting server so they dont take up local space, I am concerned it will begin to fill up the hosting space (for instance Kiwibed) is 250MB website. When making a Snapshot it asks me "Maximum number of local archives" inferring this is copies kept on the hosting server??? BUT it doesnt ask me the number of remote copies to be saved??

Actually there isn't any option which lets you set limits for remote copies. And plugin needs at least one copy saved locally to upload it to cloud solutions. You can set "Maximum number of local archives" input's value to 1. This way plugin will only keep one copy of snapshot locally.

Lastly I havent yet tried to restore a snapshot but am again assuming it restores the site completyely and as was? can it be to a new host and/or domain?

Yes plugin will restore snapshot with its defined parameters. :slight_smile: So let's say you have not included core files of other plugins and theme's then Snapshot Pro will not restore those. But if you have taken full backup of your site, then Snapshot Pro can restore it to any host and to any domain. There isn't any restriction about that. So It can be done to a new host/domain. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else in which I can help you with.
    Cheers,
    Milan