Snapshot not completing on Hostgator

Today I am testing the snapshot plugin on a clients site. Hostgator pisses its pants when it gets to the files. Obviously the ideal solution to any problem involving Hostgator is to dump HG. Sadly this is not a huge project and starting out with a host change is not an option.

Is there some throttling I can set so that the snapshot will complete?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Joe,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and I think the thing to start with would be increasing WordPress memory limit by adding following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

The line should be placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing! */ line.

Currently, your WordPress is set to use only up to 40M of memory while server allows PHP scripts (so WordPress as well) use up to 256M of memory. Therefore, rising WordPress limit to that value may be of help here.

If it doesn't work though, please also add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY',false);

This will turn on WordPress build in debugging and should write its output into the "/wp-content/debug.log" file. Once you added those lines please try running snapshot again after it fails please download aforementioned file and then rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your replay here so I could review it.

Hopefully it will give me a clue on why the snapshot fails to complete.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Urbano

Hi there!

Allow me to make a suggestion, could you confirm where Snapshots returns the error (database or files?)

I've solved this many times by making a Snapshot of Database and Files, excluding the /uploads folders. This may be an alternative to have more resources on the hosting (which they don't allow on HG).

Then you can manually download the /uploads folder via FTP and upload to the new hosting.

This worked well for me on previous situations where hosting resources are not enough to import/export full backups.

Hope it helps, I'm sure the heroes will be able to also help you solving this!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.