Snapshot not honoring "maximum number of local archives"

Snapshot is not honoring the setting for max number of local archives. We have Snapshot installed on a half dozen clients’ websites on three hosting platforms: Pair Networks Shared, GoDaddy Shared, and Rackspace Cloudsites. In all cases the Snapshot dashboard shows the correct number of backups (we’ve set it to 1), but when we check the backup folder via ftp, it’s keeping them all, using way too much storage.

We like the promise of Snapshot, but this was a very unwelcome discovery in practice. Any guidance you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mark | Sund + Co | Original Websites and Web Apps

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@cinticom,

Just to confirm. I did some testing on my local development site. Seems there is still some logic issues on the purge archive coding that I need to clear up. This seems to work for local and FTP destinations. But for Dropbox the file is not properly being removed from the local snapshot archive folder. Should have this fixed in 24 hours.

• Mark Sund
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

My apology on the number of local archives issue – I’m a bit behind – I see that on the one site we left the scheduled backups running, Snapshot is now honoring the max number of local archives setting. I’ll test it now on the rest of the websites.

Fixing local leftovers from the Dropbox backup would be great.

I was pretty upset when I discovered these were happening a couple months ago – via a large storage invoice from a hosting provider! – that I just turned everything off. I finally posted this – I’m glad to know that one of them has been fixed and the other will be soon.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@cinticom,

My apology on the number of local archives issue – I’m a bit behind – I see that on the one site we left the scheduled backups running, Snapshot is now honoring the max number of local archives setting. I’ll test it now on the rest of the websites.

Thanks,

Fixing local leftovers from the Dropbox backup would be great.

Just a note once I get the new release out. The way to do this is to run the scan import on the Snapshot > Settings page. This will pull in any archive not currently within the All Snapshots listing. Then when the scheduling cycles it will then automatically purge the entries and finally remove the zip archive per your snapshot threshold.

I was pretty upset when I discovered these were happening a couple months ago – via a large storage invoice from a hosting provider! – that I just turned everything off. I finally posted this – I’m glad to know that one of them has been fixed and the other will be soon.

As you should be. My apologies for not catching this soon. You pay enough to WPMU DEV. We should not be causing you to spend extra money.

• Mark Sund
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Paul and Staff,

We’ve been testing Snapshot 2.3.3.2 – local and Dropbox – daily and monthly – websites on three different hosts (Rackspace Cloud, GoDaddy, Pair Networks). It’s deleting old backups properly. Thank you for the fix!

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.