Snapshot not restoring backed up site

I have made a backup of a site that I want to import into my multisite environment. I used to be able to do this with ease and haven't tried one in a while. It appears the latest version of the snapshot is not allowing a restoration in my multisite environment. I ran a debug. Here's what the debug.log said...

[03-Nov-2017 02:52:31 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: MANIFEST in /home/gdgadminsrvr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/views/snapshots/restore.php on line 179

The backup from the other site completes without errors. I will say I tried to import the snapshot directly from Amazon and it times out... so I manually uploaded the snapshot to the upload/snapshots directory and then "imported" from there... Then when running, it just hangs and times out.

Salt-hotel-3 is what we're attempting to restore...to salthotel.websitesrvr.com. Also, after the snapshot fails the first time... if you try to restore again... all of the "source" details like database prefix, site name, etc. are empty.

• Dimitris

Hello there johnol,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

As this is a public forum, could you please send us some access details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    Destination Site:
    - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel/Plesk credentials (host/username/password)
    Source Site:
    - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel/Plesk credentials (host/username/password)
    Other:
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

I've also noticed the reference about the security plugin you're using and I couldn't even use our support access functionality to inspect wp-admin area. :unamused: As this will make things harder for us (we're a distributed team and almost all of us don't work from dedicated IPs), could you please consider deactivate these restrictions?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• johnol

I am so very frustrated. I have given access and still no help.

Snapshot perpetually times out and totally fails in creating backups... especially with sites running through Cloudflare. This is true for stand-alone sites as well as multisite. We've seen issues across multiple hosts as well including dedicated servers, liquid web's cloud sites, etc.

The lack of support and the continuing issues has compelled me to seek and find an alternative backup solution.

For anyone else struggling with Multisite + Snapshots and frustrated at the lack of responsive support from WPMUDEV... we ended up going with the All-in-One WP Migration plugin with the Multisite support optional add-on. It was $$ but having backups that actually WORK is worth something... not to mention responsive support...

WPMUDEV... one last comment... we *have* to maintain global security because of the world-wide hacking we see against wordpress. For us to "turn off" all our security is simply impossible. As has been expressed to you directly... if you can tell us from where a tech will be accessing we can make a temporary exception for that tech.

• Dimitris

Hello there johnol,

hope you're doing good today and I'm really sorry for the frustration here! :slight_smile:

The lack of support and the continuing issues has compelled me to seek and find an alternative backup solution.

Thing is that we didn't actually troubleshoot this in depth, as we didn't have the necessary access to WP installations and servers. In order to better assist you here, please do use the form I've shared above and we'll further investigate this, also involve our Second Level Support staff, if needed.

WPMUDEV... one last comment... we *have* to maintain global security because of the world-wide hacking we see against wordpress. For us to "turn off" all our security is simply impossible. As has been expressed to you directly... if you can tell us from where a tech will be accessing we can make a temporary exception for that tech.

As for the security restrictions, I wasn't meant to deactivate the whole security of course. I pressum that you can whitelist either by IP address (my current IP address is 5.54.200.77, but this is changing daily...) and I'm located in Greece (in case you can whitelist a whole country).

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• johnol

Here's the issue:

We've attempted to use Snapshot in at least 4 different hosting environments, 2 behind cloudflare and 2 "naked".

Invariably one of two outcomes occurs... 1) The snapshot times out and generates an error message. 2) The snapshot that is generated is faulty.

If it was a problem specifically with our environment we wouldn't be seeing the same issues cropping up across a myriad of hosts.

Snapshot's unreliability has made it impossible for us to move clients into our multisite environment which is why we switched to the All-in-One solution with the multisite option... it simply freaking works.

Likewise, I don't want to jump through the hoops of giving you access to our environment so that you can tell us that you'll have to contact the "developers" only to wait six months for someone to do something... which is your track record as of late with other cases I've submitted and that I've seen submitted by others.

I need a solution *now*... not months from now.

And given that I am unable to give you access to the various client environments (other than ours) where Snapshot has totally failed... it seems an exercise in futility to pursue this.

I don't have time to help you troubleshoot a faulty product. I pay you folks an annual fee trusting that when you release something into the wild... it just plain works.

It has been clear for a LONG time that snaphsot has major fundamental issues and I'm tired of submitting requests and then "fixes" not really working.

I mean zero disrespect. I'm simply expressing my experience as of late with WPMUDEV...

• Dimitris

Hello johnol,

hope you're doing good and I'm really sorry for the frustration here!

Snapshot's issues are most of the time related to server power and configuration, not to mention other installed plugins and themes that may involve there, that's why we ask for some server access to further investigate and troubleshoot.

I can see that you've opened another two threads during last year about Snapshot, but none of these continued with some actual troubleshooting. If this isn't too much for you, feel free to send us over some access details as instructed in my initial reply here and I'll make sure that our SLS team will do their best in a timely manner to provide some feedback here, and possibly a solution. :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Dimitris

• johnol

You guys always default to "plugins" or "low powered servers".

In *previous* troubleshooting we disabled all plugins. This of course caused tremendous issues in our multi-site environment for all of our clients.

Snapshot didn't work.

As for our server environment... it is a dedicated environment and we average about 2% to 4% cpu consumption... it is highly efficient and more than powerful enough to handle whatever is thrown at it.

And when another backup plugin like All-In-One simply works... then it is self-evident the issue isn't the environment... it is the plugin.

The issues started cropping up a couple of versions ago... so clearly something changed in the codebase that doesn't properly send "keep-alive" signals to the server environment so it knows to allow the process to keep running... that or it doesn't properly segment processes in a way so that it doesn't generate timeouts.

Either way... the issue is with the plugin. And I've invested too many months trying to help you guys access my systems... however we also have security protocols that must be adhered to.

And until this most recent ticket... I've not been given specific countries or IP addresses to whitelist... I've simply been told to turn security off which is simply a non-option.

So I'm done wasting time on this issue. We've moved on to an alternate plugin... makes me sad... you guys need a MUCH better way of offering support than your current protocol...

• Dimitris

Hello johnol,

hope you're doing good today and I'm really sorry for the frustration here!

Debugging this kind of issues is pretty impossible without having actual server access I'm afraid, so we can monitor the process and any debug information.
    We also don't want you to turn off all security measures you have, but just the ones that can help us to accomplish above goal. I've already shared with you my public IP (current is 46.176.98.234) and that I'm located in Greece, but for engaging more staff members in here, we should remove more restrictions based on their location and IPs. This isn't something that I can tell you right now, or in my previous replies, as I didn't have the initial information required (server access), so I could proceed with basic trouble shooting and then escalate to one of our SLS/developers.
    If you wish to carry on, please do reach us via email as mentioned above. We're always eager to provide the best possible support! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris