Snapshot not running managed backups

I’m working hard to finish this site, so backups are important. I have Snapshot set to backup daily at 8 AM but it’s not running the managed backups. I checked the key and when I trigger a backup it runs fine. So I don’t know why the schedule isn’t working. I’d appreciate it if someone looked into this. I’m currently having to manually trigger the backups to be stored on WPMU myself via the settings. Support access is open. Thank you.

• Majid
    • Recruit

Hello Academic Web Pages

I hope you are doing great today :slight_smile:

Snapshot’s Maanged backups are based on WP Crons that run only if there is a visitor on your site, if there is no visitor on the site the cron job will be waiting until a visitor comes in, and that’s why WP Cron are not effective and accurate for small websites that don’t get much traffic, in your case it’s staging site and probably you are the only who visits it.

However I can see that there is a managed backup created today at 8.30AM so maybe that wasn’t manually created and it was done automatically.

There is a fix for this by replacing WordPress Cron jobs by a Real server based cron job. It’s very simple and siteground provide and easy to follow tutorial (can be done under 10minutes).

How to Replace the WordPress Cron with a Real Cron Job Tutorial

Let me know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Majid

• Enduring Epilepsy (Katrina)
    • Recruit

1) I’m on the stage almost 18 hours a day right now, so there shouldn’t be a problem with the visitor issue for triggering the backup.

2) I manually triggered the backup this morning because I’ve been working on the site all night, didn’t want to risk losing my work, and saw that the managed backup had not been running.

3) will adding this CRON job slow the site any? is there an option to set it for daily, weekly, etc?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Enduring Epilepsy (Katrina),

hope you’re doing good today! :slight_smile:

1) I’m on the stage almost 18 hours a day right now, so there shouldn’t be a problem with the visitor issue for triggering the backup.

This may not be “enough”, let me explain. Cron jobs are set to run in specific times, let’s say every day, so for example this should run in 8:00AM. The first visit in website after this time, will trigger the cron job. Any visit before that, won’t trigger anything. By settings system cron jobs, this visit isn’t a requirement as the cron job will run automatically based on server’s time.

3) will adding this CRON job slow the site any? is there an option to set it for daily, weekly, etc?

There’s nothing like slower responses or anything like that when you use system cron jobs.

And yes, when you set one, you set how often it should run (daily, weekly etc).

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/using-wordpress/how-to-use-system-cron/

Warm regards,

Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.