Snapshot not uploading to Dropbox

Snapshot doesn’t seem to backing anything up anywhere. I have it set to backup to my Dropbox, but there are no files there. In the local directory there is nothing either. Please help! We bought this plugin specifically so that there would be no more data loss in case of a crash.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ruby,

So I’m assuming you setup a snapshot backup to include all database tables and all files, correct?

Some things to look into.

1. Go to Snapshots > Settings. Look for the section ‘Memory Info’. What is the value here. If you see the default 40MB please increase the value to ‘256MB’.

2. Go back to Snapshots > All Snapshots. Edit the existing snapshot item. Lets try creating a small archive first. Try unselecting all Files. Then on the database tables try unselecting all but one table. Maybe the wp_comments or some other.

Then change the scheduled interval to run immediate. Then click the blue button at the bottom of the form. This is run an interactive archive. You should see the complete. Or you will see an error message. Let me know either.

Start there and get back to us.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So I was able to include all the common files and database tables and run an immediate backup. Now I’ve set it to an interval of once daily. If that runs ok, then we’re golden and it was just a memory issue. Thanks for all your help thus far. I’ll post back once that backup either runs or doesn’t.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

so after leaving the software alone for a little while, here’s what I’ve noticed – the small snapshot I set up of one table faithfully runs every couple of days like I have it set up. the snapshot I’ve set up for the whole site with all files and tables included only ran the first time when I did it manually. as far as I can see there’s plenty of memory being allocated (I changed it to 512m from 256m just to see if it would help), but it won’t run automatically. any idea as to why one will run but the other won’t? or what I’m doing wrong?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ruby,

There are two steps in the Snapshot process so I would like you help to isolate the issue.

Step #1: Create the archive on the local site

Step #2: Upload local archive to Dropbox.

From what I can tell you are stuck in step #1, correct. I assume that since your previous comment in this thread indicated the archive is not being built.

Go to Snapshot > Settings. At the very bottom of the page is a section to control the archive method. Can you advise if you are using ZipArchive or PclZip?

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Paul, you are right, I am stuck at step #1. The snapshot screen shows me 6 backups have been created for the small one, but only 1 backup has been created for the full site.

Settings shows me that I am using PclZip. I think this was the default. Does this option not always work?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ruby,

Settings shows me that I am using PclZip. I think this was the default. Does this option not always work?

It depends on your system. If you have a lot of little files I generally suggest using PclZip. Try switching to ZipArchive and see if you have any better luck.

Any idea how large your site is?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ruby,

Ok. Keep me updated. As for the size it matter that you need to have at least that amount of memory available to create the archive. Again this is a slight difference between PclZip which uses mostly memory and ZipArchive which created the archive on disk and uses less memory for processing.

Also, you might want to log into your site via FTP and check the directory /wp-content/uploads. One thing to look for is if you have previously tried another backup tool like BackupBuddy. It tends to leave its old archives folder on the server. What you want to do it remove the direct it no longer needed or go to Snapshot > Settings and setup a global exclude for that path. Similar if you have some very large videos.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Paul, unfortunately it’s not making a difference when I switch to ZipArchive. And we haven’t used a tool like BackupBuddy before, so that isn’t the issue.

I tried clicking on the “run now” link to start the snapshot and it seemed like it started to do something, but that was 24 hours ago and I still have no archive showing up. The other snapshot of one table that I have scheduled to run every couple of days is going strong at least. But the complete backup just won’t run no matter what I do. This is really frustrating!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ruby,

As there has been some time since your last post to this thread let’s start fresh. Can you go to Snapshots > Settings and provide the details in the ‘System Info’ section. Also just below that section is the ‘Memory Info’ section. Please advise what this is currently set to. Also, which compression options are you running?

what you are describing sounds like a memory issue. If you have very large media files in your system it can effect creation of the archive.

You mentioned the single table archive is working. That is good news. Try changing that to include all database tables but no files. Does that work? and does it get delivered to Dropbox?

Try creating a new Snapshot for just media files.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Paul,

I took a screenshot of the settings page, that is attached.

What I’ve noticed when I run the full snapshot manually is that it comes to a certain point and then just freezes up and doesn’t complete.

I’m running the snapshot for all database tables but no common files now. Will let you know if that works.

Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ruby,

The snapshot for all database tables ran perfectly fine

Great. Was the archive also transmitted successfully to Dropbox?

You might be running into a common issue in your media/uploads section. Can you try creating a new snapshot setup just for themes and one for plugins and a third for media. My guess is the the media will fail.

In that case and since you mentioned running BackupBuddy previously. You may need to FTP or use your host control panel to review the files in wp-content/uploads/ I know BackupBuddy leaves old archives on your server. So what is happening is Snapshot is attempting to include the BackupBuddy prior archive into the snapshot archive. This is just too large to process.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Paul,

Yes, the archive was also transmitted successfully to Dropbox.

I’ll create the three snapshots you suggested and let you know how that goes.

We’ve never used BackupBuddy, actually. I don’t believe we’ve used any backup software or plugin before.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So I believe I found the problem. The archive freezes in one place every time and surprisingly it’s not media. One of the plugins is the problem – called WP Web Scraper.

Is there any way to pick and choose which plugins are included in the archive? I think if I just exclude that one, the archive will work properly.

• Ruby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ah perfect! I added the global exclusion and then ran the one with just plugins and it successfully created the file and uploaded to Dropbox! This makes me super happy :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help Paul!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.