Snapshot plugin stalls and backup quits

Single site install (not multisite). Running Snapshot Pro. Configured to backup and send to Dropbox. Authorized with Dropbox, even re-authorized.
Initiate Backup, verify front-end website has active traffic (since I know the job kicks off that way)... ok
Let it run for 10 minutes and view the "log". Log shows the following:
Snapshot Log Viewer
Loading ...

Never loads. Eventually, the backup ends. The system doesn't indicate that a backup ever occurred and no backup files are sent to Dropbox. After checking, the local directory has a snapshot_backup.zip that seems about the appropriate size.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. I have deleted and remade the snapshot and tried different types that include Google Drive, Dropbox and even just a local backup.

I couldn't find any error message or log file to review to give more information on what I'm missing. Hoping you can help.

• Jude

Hey Joshua

Hope all is well with you !

I took a peek inside and triggered a snapshot. Im not even able to see log entries strangely. Sounds like some sort of issue with either a conflict with some plugin or your server pulling the plug on the process before it completes.

Can you turn on WP_DEBUG and post the exact error messages you see here ?
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Also can you try a plugin conflict test as detailed here ? Please use a default theme when doing this

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Cheers
    Jude

• Joshua

I do have one plugin that is old, but I've already tried disabling that plugin and didn't get any change in function. I did as you requested and set the theme to the default one as well as ran the debug logging command. After that, I opened the main page and clicked around for a couple of minutes, then I started a new snapshot and then clicked around the website a bit more.

The contents of the log are as follows:

[01-Sep-2016 17:52:02 UTC] Sorry, but recursing filters on "the_content" breaks NextGEN Gallery. Please see https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17817 and NGG_DISABLE_FILTER_THE_CONTENT
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:02 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, class 'CPM' does not have a method 'load_footer_resources' in /home/magnolia/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 524
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:26 UTC] Sorry, but recursing filters on "the_content" breaks NextGEN Gallery. Please see https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17817 and NGG_DISABLE_FILTER_THE_CONTENT
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:26 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: display in /home/magnolia/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-email-capture/inc/display.php on line 31
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:26 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, class 'CPM' does not have a method 'load_footer_resources' in /home/magnolia/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 524
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:30 UTC] Sorry, but recursing filters on "the_content" breaks NextGEN Gallery. Please see https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17817 and NGG_DISABLE_FILTER_THE_CONTENT
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:30 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: display in /home/magnolia/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-email-capture/inc/display.php on line 31
    [01-Sep-2016 17:52:30 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, class 'CPM' does not have a method 'load_footer_resources' in /home/magnolia/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 524
    [01-Sep-2016 17:53:55 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, class 'CPM' does not have a method 'load_footer_resources' in /home/magnolia/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 524

Notes:
    *I am aware of the CPM variable method error - this has never caused a problem in the past and it's function simply returns a 'badge' image for some users.
    * Total time with debug running was about 8-10 minutes, and I'm honestly surprised at the LOW amount of entries.
    * I did find the log for the last backup. I am attaching it now.

I have reverted everything back to it's normal running state, as this is a production site.

• Jude

Hey Joshua

I did a bunch of tests on the site and was able to get this working. There are a couple of things we need to do ( I used a small subset of the tables for testing ).

1) Move out your CRON job to linux as shown here

https://easyengine.io/tutorials/wordpress/wp-cron-crontab/

2) Increase the max_execution_time and the max_post_size in your servers php?

max_execution_time = 300
    post_max_size = 64M

Let me know if that fixes it

Cheers
    Jude

• Joshua

I can move the cron job outside of WP, but changing the php parameters is going to be tough, as I am on shared hosting.

I'm also, not understanding the issue we're running into. Could you explain it more? From my vantage point, the execution appears to be stalling or failing-to-start. This is not my largest site (by far) that I backup using SnapshotPro. Why would this one be such a problem? What could have changed in the last version of this plugin that would have caused this to happen? 1 month ago, I wasn't having this problem. Can you provide a link to the previous version of the plugin? Perhaps, I could install that and run it and see if that works again.

• Jude

Hey again Joshua

Hope all is well with you !

I'm also, not understanding the issue we're running into. Could you explain it more?

What Im seeing here is something either kills the cron process off or prevents it from firing if the snapshot is big ( beyond a point ).

This is not my largest site (by far) that I backup using SnapshotPro. Why would this one be such a problem?

Are all the sites on the same exact server as this current one ? Or just the same plan on the same host ? Im asking as some hosts do throttle based on servers and number of sites they host on them.

Can you provide a link to the previous version of the plugin? Perhaps, I could install that and run it and see if that works again.

Ofcourse. Here you go, this will work on all our plugins. Simply click on the changelog link and select which ever version you want. See attached screenshot.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#changelog_all

Is there a STOP or ABORT option that I can use to clear out previous, pending requests short of uninstalling the plugin?

This can be done via the DB, but we'd best avoid that till we try the previous step first.

Cheers
    Jude

• Joshua

I am going to try the older version first.

In the mean time, I've had to install another backup product to get the immediate backup done, so that I could patch now. In the next day or so, I will try running the older version of the app and see if I get the same issue. Probably will start that process on Thursday.

I run 99% of my sites on the same host and have not run into a problem with the host throttling anything - not to say it isn't a possibility. I have my backups staggered across 2 days - the largest ones staggered an hour apart. While this one is one of the largest ones, the only thing that I can think of is that it has the largest number of individual files by about 10% of any of my other sites.

Is there an advanced option where you could set the backup.zip file to break at every X MB or something? This might help with that process, if it's running out of time or something similar.

All-in-all, I agree with your assertion that the cron job is not completing. From some indications, it looks like it might be the add-all-the-files-to-zip-file part. It may not even be getting to the DropBox part. In your testing, did you get it up to upload to YOUR dropbox account and Gdrive? Did they upload to Gdrive any faster? I've got plenty of space on my account if needbe - just normally like to use Dropbox.

• Luís

Hi Joshua ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

My teammate Jude is on vacations so I am not sure about the test he made.

1) Have you tried the previous version of Snapshot?

2) Are you unable to make backup in the "local server"?

2) Have you tried to increase the "max_execution_time" variable?

max_execution_time = 300

There are different methods to do that, I think this article may interest you:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.