I'm migrating single sites to a multi site network and after reading the article HOW TO MOVE A WORDPRESS SITE WITHOUT HASSLE WITH SNAPSHOT I decided to go ahead and try the plugin. Since mostly I'm the master admin for most of the sites, everything went well on the migrations, except on the sites that have other users.
I've ran numerous tests and the users are NOT restored well when migrating a single site to a non primary multi site.
On the restore screen it reads:
--- Quote ----
When restoring users and usermeta records under a Multisite environment there are a few limitations. Please read the following carefully:
1. If restoring to the primary blog ALL user entries will be replaced!
2. If restoring to a non-primary blog, the user's ID and user_name fields are checked against existing users.
- If a match is not found a new user will be created. This means a new user ID will be assigned.
- If a match is found but the user ID is different. The found user ID will be used.
3. If the restored user ID is changed, Snapshot will update usermeta, posts and comments records with the new user ID. A new usermeta record will be added with the key '_old_user_id' with the value of the previous user ID. Snapshot cannot attempt updates to other tables like BuddyPress where the user ID fields are not known. These will need to be updated manually.
--- end Quote ---
My case is #2 and the restore creates separate user and metadata tables on the subsite (i.e. wp_##_users & wp_##_metadata), does not create the new user and thus does not execute #3 above.
I will take a dive on the code and try to figure out where the problem is (asumming that it is not something I'm doing wrong).