[Snapshot Pro] Automate and Managed Backups

Hi there,

I recently started rolling out Automate and Managed Backups across more of my client sites but I suddenly started to see the amount of storage space I’m using gradually increase. The issue seems to be the number of Automate Backups that are retained on the system – and there doesn’t appear to be an option in the settings to limit the number. It seems strange that the Managed backups do have this option but Automate doesn’t.

Also, it would make sense to count both Automate and Managed backups when it comes to the number of backups being kept on the system for each domain.

I’d like to request the following;
1) Count both Managed backups and Automate backups when defining the total number of backups to keep for storage purposes.
2) Make sure there’s an option to limit the number of Automate backups stored and/or the total combined number of backups stored for each domain.

Regards,

Steve

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Steve – Just Think BiG

As stated in our documentation here, and I quote:

Note: Automate Managed Backups is a separate service from our standard Managed Backups. Automate backups are always set to keep 3 backups before removing the oldest one from the archives (this can not be changed). This limit does not interfere with your regular Managed Backups limit in any way and these backups will appear as “full_backup-xxxxxxx-automated-xxxx.zip” in your Backups tab while standard Managed Backups are displayed as “full_backup-xxxxxxx-full-xxxx.zip”.

Having one option in Hub for the total amount of Automated and Managed backups wouldn’t make much sense though, as this is actually the same option as found inside Snapshot plugin about Managed Backups settings specifically.

Having the ability to change the number of 3 latest Automate backups could be a valid setting though, most probably in Hub -> Automate -> Configuration, so I already contacted our team of developers and designers about it. We’ll keep you posted here as soon as there’s any development on this, like actually adding it in out to-do list.

Thank you,
    Dimitris

• Steve - Just Think BiG
    • Thinking Bigger

Hi Dimitris,

A couple of points;

Firstly, the last two tickets I’ve created don;t appear in the Support Area of my Hub. Why is that? Surely, they should do?

Having one option in Hub for the total amount of Automated and Managed backups wouldn’t make much sense though, as this is actually the same option as found inside Snapshot plugin about Managed Backups settings specifically.

No. This isn’t the same. The option found inside Snapshot only applies to Managed Backups and not Automated Backups. I was asking for a mechanism to control the toal number across the two functions.

Re notifying your developers and designers, this would be a useful option to have – not least because I also use Snapshot Pro in every site to take daily backups, which use Dropbox as the location, so they sync offline on to my hard drive, as a precaution. It also helps me manage my storage requirements with yourselves.

I’ll wait for an update.

Regards,

Steve

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Steve

Firstly, the last two tickets I’ve created don;t appear in the Support Area of my Hub. Why is that? Surely, they should do?

That’s a small issue in our end, after a recent update of the backend of our forums. It’s already reported to the developers of our site and they are working on it.

No. This isn’t the same. The option found inside Snapshot only applies to Managed Backups and not Automated Backups. I was asking for a mechanism to control the toal number across the two functions.

That’s true and that’s what I meant above. This setting in Hub is specifically for Managed Backups, it’s actually the same setting you find in the Snapshot plugin. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding here.

This request is already shared with our developers, designers, and growth team. If there’s any update, we’ll keep you posted here. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Steve - Just Think BiG
    • Thinking Bigger

Thanks for the update, Dimitris.

Good to know that the issue with tickets not showing in the support page in the WPMUDEV Dashboard isbeing dealt with. And with the total numberof backups.

I’ll mark this as resolved as the other issues will, no doubt, be sirted in due course.

Regards,

Steve

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.