[Snapshot Pro] Backup/Snapshot

I have downloaded the zipped backup and it doesn't open. So I am not sure of the quality of the backups. Can a backup not be restored unless it's through your system? And what is the difference between a backup and a snapshot?

• Neel Gajjar
    • Staff

Hello Steve,

how are you doing today?

I have downloaded the zipped backup and it doesn’t open.

Which software are you using to extract the zip file?

I would recommend you using 7zip if you’re using windows platform. There might also be a problem were backup zip file was not created correctly that might have broken the zip file. To have a better idea of about what exact issue would you please grant support staff access so I can take a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Also please do share the file name which you downloaded and facing the issue so that I can download it on my end and try to extract it.

Can a backup not be restored unless it’s through your system?

It can be restored via FTP and phpMyAdmin but you might need some technical expertise to restore manually.

what is the difference between a backup and a snapshot?

Snapshots

You select what parts of the site should be backed up (e.g. plugins, themes, media files, wp-config file and so on), setup a schedule and decide where that backup should be stored. It can be stored locally or in one of the “Destinations” (see “Destinations” page in Snapshot settings) which can be e.g. some FTP location, your Dropbox or Google Drive account or Amazon S3.

Managed backups

These are the full backups it includes all the files and folder which are under root folder (so you cannot decide whether you want to backup e.g. only plugins folder or media library) and also the important part is a storage location: such backup is always uploaded to our secure (it’s fully encrypted as well) cloud where you have 10GB of backup storage space assigned to your WPMU DEV account (that’s free but you can buy more space if you need of course).

Hope this helps. Let me know if have any more questions.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.