[Snapshot Pro] Backups not working for alienated.me

I haven't been able to run a backup successfully on alienated.me for more than 4 months now.

The weird thing is that in my Wordpress dashboard I do not see WP MUDEV dashboard on the left sidebar, even though it's obviously installed and activated. So I wouldn't know how to grant access to support or access WP MUDEV plugins.

Please help! Thanks!
Dubie

• viobru

Hi, Dubie!

Thanks for contacting us, hope you are doing great :slight_smile:

I’m really sorry to hear that you have been having issues for so long with Snapshot. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this might be causing you.

Just to clarify, are you trying to run a snapshot or a managed backup? Are you getting any errors when trying to run it?

On the other hand, if you can’t see the WPMU DEV Dashboard on the left sidebar, please try deactivating the plugin and reactivating it back and check if it’s visible after that. If so, please grant support access and reply on this ticket informing that support access is granted so we can continue assisting you with the backup issue.

If after reactivating the WPMU DEV plugin you still don’t see it on the left sidebar, please try to directly reinstall the plugin on the site (deactivate it and delete it from the Plugins page and then download it again and re-upload it to the site).

If none of that 2 options work, please send us an email via our secure contact form including the following information so we can check this for you:

Subject: "Attn: Violeta" (please use this subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile: )
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - FTP credentials: host/username/password
    - Linkback to this thread for reference

Please, USE our secure contact form to send it (please, DO NOT post your credentials in this thread since this is a PUBLIC thread and could be accessible by anyone): https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question.

Many thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Violeta

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dubie,

Sorry for the late response. I was checking your site and making a couple of tests, however, Managed Backups are still stuck and there is no debug.log generated, so we don't have any additional info why this is happening.
    I have to escalate this to our Second Line Support developers to investigate and provide a fix. We will let you know more as soon there will be more info.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi Dubie !

Since we have some protection limits when logged in via the Support Access I'd like to have credentials instead to access your Admin area so I can help you out.

You can send me the information needed privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question by following this example:

Subject: "Attn: Konstantinos Xenos"

- Admin login ( if Multisite please provide Super Admin details ):
    Admin Username:
    Admin Password:
    Login URL: 

- Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs -or- information regarding the issue that was not included in this thread

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Konstantinos Xenos

Dubie ,

I've run some tests and the backup process didn't finish but I have some notes that may help with this as it doesn't seem to be a plugin issue. I'm going to explain since we don't have server access to take a closer look for the time being.

First of all the whole process is really slow this mostly shows that the server's resources aren't that high, it might for example not have a big CPU load so the process can't go faster, or that the disk is almost full so it uses other means for the zipping process etc.

Now the issue that the backup is facing that results in an error is when exporting a specific table from your Database. Most likely that table consists of big data and the server can't allow the export as the max_allowed_packet is set to a lower limit.

Could you please ask your hosting provider to raise the max_allowed_packet and show them this error as it might share a light with them of what might actually have happened?

[21-Feb-2019 16:39:10 UTC] PHP Warning: Error while sending QUERY packet. PID=160761 in /home2/alienate/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1924

Please inform me if they reach back to you so we can give it another try or to debug it further if there's any extra information.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Dubie

Thanks, Konstantinos, I will contact my hosting service to inquire about this.

However, before I do so, can you also check why WPMUDEV dashboard is not visible in my wordpress back-end? I tried logging in with both admin accounts, in case it's showing in one and not the other, but that's not the case. Whichever account I use to login to wordpress, I do not see WPMUDEV in the menu on the left.

The website is visible in my hub, but WPMUDEV isn't visible in wordpress.

Dubie

• Dubie

Thank you, Konstantinos. WPMUDEV is now visible in wordpress for alienated.me website.

Can you do the same for astrobracelet.com website? I tried to de-activate and re-activate the Dashboard plugin, and logging in with different user but I can't see the WPMUDEV dashboard in Wordpress menu. Btw, I already requested help with this issue here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/smartcrawl-pro-plugin-conflict-1 but did not receive any reply yet.

Thanks!

• Konstantinos Xenos

Dubie ,

Since the value is server-wide, I've taken another look by lowering the requests made on the database from the side of Snapshot just in case that could work.

Unfortunately it seems that today we're getting the same error but on a very earlier stage of the process where it is actually zipping the files and not related to the Database.

Now the issue since it seems to be happening more "randomly" might be from a server hitting other limits as well or from file permissions and a number of other things as well.

Unfortunately the error returned as "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" can mean a number of things at's it would be a wild guess at the moment to try and pinpoint it.

Would there be a possibility to have access to your system panel as well? I.e. Cpanel or any similar if it exists just in case I can see if there are any server-side generated logs that might help identify what is causing this?

You can send me the information needed privately through our contact form at https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question by following this example:

Subject: "Attn: Konstantinos Xenos"

- Server Admin ( CPanel / Plesk )
    Username:
    Password:
    Login URL:

- Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs -or- information regarding the issue that was not included in this thread

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Konstantinos Xenos

Dubie ,

I've run some backups now that you gave me server access as well and I see that the server is reaching it's limits quite fast especially the I/O limits.

I/O is responsible for reading/writing files. In general a backup process requires a heavy I/O usage since it's reading and zipping files constantly. Most likely since the server is hitting the I/O limit it simply cancels the process as a failsafe to not overdo it. Now I/O limits depend from server to server & plans etc. Would there be a possibility to ask if that could be raised? If the I/O continues to limit out I'll ask our Developers to see if we could do something from our end but I can't make any promises on that.

The hosting provider can easily see the server logs and cross-reference all he I/O results from the past days.

We're always trying to evolve Snapshot with upcoming releases to use as less resources as possible but that's always server-dependent as well.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Dubie

Hi Konstantinos,

This is the reply from my hosting service:

The account is already assigned with the maximum IO can be assigned on the plan. On checking the graph, we can see the IO spike sharply sometime. It should be caused by some specific operation and it can be backup you take. Please check that, it will not be possible to increase the IO further.

Let me know if there's anything else that can be done.

Thanks,
    Dubie

• Konstantinos Xenos

Dubie , sorry for the late reply this time.

I was waiting for our Developers to take a look as well. Unfortunately as I already thought and mentioned the I/O limit seems to be really low and it breaks the zipping process. There's nothing we can do at this moment to help from our end and if the Hosting provider can't raise that limit for example the backups most likely will continue to break.

We are already looking into improving the backup process and we've been doing it gradually with every Snapshot update that we deliver to make it uses as less resources as possible to avoid issues like this. As I've mentioned though this process takes time as we have to find a golden rule to support as many server setups as possible so there's no easy "quick fix" or an ETA to give you at the moment as a helping hand.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience. Tell me if you need any further information or help.

Regards,
      Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.