[Snapshot Pro] Backups timing out

Backups are not working in Snapshot Pro (to Dropbox). It was initially showing a "-1" error message. But after the chat support representative added some debug definitions (WP_DEBUG), Snapshot optimization definitions and WP_MEMORY_LIMIT, along with increasing the max_execution_time to 3000, Snapshot started timing out while backing up media files with a "Request Timeout Error". Please advice.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cory

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I run a number of test snapshots on your site and it seems that this is related to the server resources. The backup is quite a "resource-intensive" process as it involves copying massive amount of files and it seems that your server has some strict I/O limits which are being hit when snapshot moves to "file backup stage".

When Media Library is included in snapshot, it goes through the part of it. If it's excluded, it goes through only a part of plugins or theme (depending on what is included and what is not) and at some point I/O Usage limit (you can see that in cPanel while running backup) is reaching 100%, which in turn is breaking the process.

The limit, in fact, is very low and - what's even more important - seems to be a "hard limit" instead of a common "soft limit". The difference is that a "soft limit" is a limit that only triggers warning but can be "abused" from time to time and if it's not "overused" it won't cause any processes to be terminated. A "hard" one, doesn't give any "margin" so when that limit is reached, no further file operation can be done. Only terminating the process that attempts to perform that operation would "free up" the limit again and that means that backup process is being stopped (times out).

Increasing memory limits or execution time will not help any more with that and there's not much that could be achieved via Snapshot/site configuration as this is a server-side issue. That being said, I have forwarded the case to our developers (along with my findings and conclusions) so they could analyze it and see if we could find a way to somehow "lower" that I/O usage.

Please keep an eye on this ticket for further information (note please: their response time might be a bit longer than hours here on forum as they are dealing with a lot of complex stuff on daily basis) and we'll update you as soon as we hear back from our developers.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Leonidas

Hello there Cory ,

I have debugged your issue and I have to report the following findings:

I have initially split your site's backup into 2 separate snapshots. One for media files (except the 2018/02 folder) and one for everything else. That way I was able to produce and upload the backup to my own Dropbox destination, successfully.

About the 2018/02 folder mentioned above, unfortunately every time it is included in the backup process, the backup can not be completed. I took a look inside this directory and noticed a large number of big files that exhaust your server's resources when included. You can try to check via FTP, if all these files are needed in order to ease the burden on your server, while this folder is getting archived.

You can check my configuration for these 2 snapshots and edit their settings in order to set your own Dropbox destination. I have deleted my own Dropbox destination, so these snapshots will appear as local ones right now. Their names are WPMU Snapshot - with no media and WPMU - media except 02-2018 folder.

You can reply in this thread for any updates :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Leonidas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.