[Snapshot Pro] How to stop Local Backup ?

Hello ,
I see that local backup store in public part of the website also it will consume from disk space , so how to disable it.
And is it safe to use root directory to save it ?

Also, What the differences between SnapShot and Managed Backups?
Thanks

• Kris Tomczyk

Hi Mohamed

Hope you are doing good today.

From my point of view I wouldn't store any backup in root directory.
    A simple test: when you try to access the backup via URL - and if you got rejected, it should be fine. But if you get the file it's a risky and not safe. It depends on server config mostly.

By default all Local Snapshot are stored in /wp-content/uploads/snapshot/ folder on you FTP and yes, it will consume disk space. Any other backup plugin on the market which makes site backup mostly store those data on your server (disk space).

There is no way to disable that Local Snapshot option. You can change the default directory to custom directory in Snapshot -> Settings -> Local Directory.

If you don't want to store any backup on your server, please read below:

Snapshot it self offer you to store those backups in additional places. In Snapshot -> Destinations you are able to choose where to store those backups:
    - Dropbox
    - Google Drive
    - Amazon S3
    - FTP/sFTP (this can be other FTP)

Of course for Dropbox /Google Drive / Amazon S3 you need to create an account and set up this correct. Eech of those option have a small guide inside.

The difference between SnapShot and Managed Backups is that:
    - the Managed Backups store those data on WPMU Cloud, which is another additional places where you store your backup
    - you need to generate only Snapshot Key in HUB and place it Snapshot -> Settings -> Snapshot Key. This is more simple and faster than configuring other above destination
    - the Managed Backups is always a full backup while the snapshot can be fully configured on what is backed up (for ex. only database)
    - if this is Multisite Snapshot is always for the selected site and Managed Backups is for the entire multisite

Hope this help :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Kris

• Kris Tomczyk

Hi Mohamed

I did not say I recommend to put backup at public_html.
    Usually you site is located in /public_html folder so if any one will type your domain name:
    domain.com
    it will not see list of files stored on root folder. The page will just load.

Also if you using default Snapshot path /wp-content/uploads/snapshot/, inside that folder and in all folder there exist a htaccess file with code:

IndexIgnore *
    Options -Indexes

which block view of files list
    You can read about this here:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexignore

I think the option to disable or enable both backup method is unnecessary.
    If you want to use local snapshot option then you use it without using managed backup.
    If you want to use managed backup option then you use it without using local snapshot.

As for dropbox by default if you set up folder only you have access to it.

Kind Regards,
    Kris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.