Snapshot Pro - Managed Backups BETA - Gateway Timeout Error

Initiated a backup and backup screen starts counting steps (apparently something it's running in the background). Gets to about 35 steps then I get this error: "Aw shucks, something went wrong :slight_frown: Instead of the beautiful response we expected, we got this: Gateway Timeout - The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application."

I have attached a screenshot.

I have gotten this error on more than one site I am trying to run Snapshot on. All are trying to backup to my WPMU Dev Hub on your servers.

Can you advise what may be the problem?

• Rupok

Hi Benjamin,

This is really unexpected. Can you please provide us your server error logs around that time you faced this issue? If you can't find server log, can you please ask your host regarding this? They will be able to help.

Can you also try this workaround? http://stackoverflow.com/a/28848847/2808424

Please let us know the results. If the issue is still there, we will be glad to investigate further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Benjamin

I tried to run the backup again with the destination set to store at WPMU Dev Hub and it appears to have worked. Is there any way to test the restore feature?

I am trying to build a SaaS product and using SnapShot is part of my emergency backup / disaster recovery plan if or when a failure would occur. At this point I am just playing with it and trying to get a workable plan in place that will backup my entire multisite network.

Thanks.

• Benjamin

I have worked with my server team at SiteGround and they made the following changes to the PHP server settings so they are now:

max_execution_time: 120 seconds
    memory_limit: 768MB
    default_socket_timeout: 3000

These settings are working and creating successful remote backup to my WPMU Dev Hub on 2 other sites I am hosting on the same plan at SiteGround. But for the site in question the Snapshot plugin now tries to backup and gets to STEP 35 of the backup process then fails with the message "Other kind backup error".

Screenshot here

I suspect this would be a conflict with another plugin, but I will have to wait until after hours to put the site in maintenance mode and test by shutting down all plugins, then trying to run Snapshot and turn on the plugins one by one. Rinse and repeat. This could be a lengthy process.

Do you have another idea of what I could do to troubleshoot this error?

Thanks.

• Nithin

Hi Benjamin,

I tried to run the backup again with the destination set to store at WPMU Dev Hub and it appears to have worked. Is there any way to test the restore feature?

I'm not sure whether I understood the question here, clicking the restore button will restore your website to that particular backup.

I have a couple of sites still getting errors. I have turned on the error logs but I don't see where they are being stored. Can you explain where they are located?

You can find the error logs located under, wp-content/uploads/snapshot/_logs folder. You'll have to make sure to check enable logging to Info, under Snapshot > Managed Backups > Settings

Do you have another idea of what I could do to troubleshoot this error?

Please enable support access to the website, so that we could give a closer look. To troubleshoot this further, would recommend you to enable debug mode, and also the enable Snapshot error log, as mentioned above.

To enable debug mode, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

After making the above changes, please try to take a new backup. If the backup fails, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can find more details about debugging here.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.