[Snapshot Pro] Migrate from one Server to another

Dear Support-Team

how can I migrate a site from one server to another (via Backup/Restore)?

Thanx for your help

reinhard

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello MANDELKIND,

I’m assuming you want to move the site to another server but the domain/site address doesn’t change, right?

There are two ways to do it.

1. You can use “Snapshot -> Snapshots” tool to create a full backup of the site (this only applies to a regular “single” WP installs), download the backup file and then on a new server:

– setup a brand new, default WordPress

– install Snapshot Pro plugin there

– upload backup file to /wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder

– go to “Snapshot -> Import” and hit “Import” button there (without setting any options)

– after that you may go to “Snapshot -> Snapshots” and your backup will show up on a list so you can hit “restore” and that should recreate original site.

2. Via “Managed Backups” – that’s actually easier

– go to “Snapshot -> Managed Backups” and create a once-off backup

– go to The Hub and from the “Backups” section for the site in question download the backup archive file and a snapshot-installer.zip file

– on a new server create an empty database

– upload both backup archive file and a snapshot-installer.php (from inside .zip) to the new server

– make sure that your domain is pointing to the new server

– run “yourdomain.com/snapshot-installer.php file and follow on screen instructions

This will automatically re-create entire site without any need to setup a fresh WordPress and importing files to it.

Please note:

– if you’re going to actually change the domain/site address, that’s a bit different case and Snapshot wasn’t created with that in mind; it might work but will need some additional tweaks after restoration and we can’t guarantee a successful migration

– do not remove original site until you got it fully working on a new server

If you got any additional questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello MANDELKIND,

The Snapshot Pro is not a “migration tool” so even though it’s been successfully used this way we cannot guarantee it will work each time. We’re working on a dedicated migration tool though, which will be easy to use and will take care of everything with just a few clicks. It’s not out yet but getting closer :slight_smile:

As for Snapshot. Would you mind telling me what problems exactly did you experience while trying to move the site? While in some cases migration with Snapshot works out of the box and in some it’s not a way to go, there are also cases where issues can be solved relatively easy so I’d like to see if I could be of help here :wink:

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.