[Snapshot Pro] Problem with restored backup

Hey, I restored a managed backup from last night because I accidentally deleted something and notices two things: Deleted custom taxonomies where not restored. Is this expected behaviour? Three deleted posts were "kind of" restored. They are now shown under posts, but I cannot put them in the trash anymore and they are also not available in the frontend, although they are shown on the home page.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Johannes,

Deleted custom taxonomies where not restored. Is this expected behaviour?

Hope you are doing good today. Sorry to hear about the issue, I’m afraid, this isn’t the expected behaviour, the Snapshot restore is supposed to restore every aspect of the website.

Such issues could happen if the backup got corrupted somehow, either during the creation process of the backup or could be while restoring.

Could I know which dated backup was tried for restore? Apr 5th, 6th etc? Were you able to check whether restoring an older backup to the one you tried, also causes the same issue?

Maybe, we could give a test with the backup you tried, and see whether it’s something we could replicate, or not too. Other than that, it’s tough to say what exactly could have caused without seeing the issue live.

Please do let us know further details if you are looking forward to troubleshooting this further. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nithin

• Johannes
    • Flash Drive

Hey,

Thanks for your swift answer. To be honest, I don’t feel like my data is totally safe with Snapshot at the moment.

Every feature of the plugin seems really buggy to me at the moment. I tried to have it create an automatic Snapshot an push it so Google Drive (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/snapshot-pro-google-drive-backup-not-working) but that didn’t and maybe still doesn’t work at all.

The managed backup behaves really weird as well. I tried to restore the following update: full_backup-1554506249-full-40aba6dd.zip 274.64 MB 6. April 2019 @ 1:17

That did not restore the mentioned taxonomies. I did not try to restore a different version. Now there seems to be an additional problem because there are now to managed backups from last night, but they are both really small (Bytes and Kilobytes). I might have to switch to a different backup solution if this does not improve.

Even the server-side backup displayed an error every time I tried it, but apparently when through anyway, because the data is there again. But it does not exactly reassure me.

Sorry for the outburst, but I am a big anxious to lose my data and then not be able to restore it with your tools.

Kind regards

Johannes

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Johannes,

I do understand your frustrations, and sorry to hear about the anomalies noticed with the restore. I further tested in your system, and I downloaded 2 Full managed backups in my localhost, and tried to restore, and could notice the issue with missing custom taxonomies.

This needs to be troubleshooted further, and I have brought this into our developer’s attention, to check, and see what exactly could be causing such anomalies, and what could be done to prevent such issues from happening.

I could notice the issue with some backups are listed in kbs, and bytes. This could be related to many factors. However, since you also have Automatic Backup enabled in the Hosting side, that should be more than enough rather than enabling Managed Backups.

Down the road, we’ll be clubbing the Automatic Hosting Backup, and that will be implemented, and synced to the Managed Backups side listed in Snapshot, so that the backups, and restore would be much smoother.

Even the server-side backup displayed an error every time I tried it, but apparently when through anyway, because the data is there again. But it does not exactly reassure me.

Could I know more about the error you notice regarding this, so that we could confirm everything is working fine with Automatic Hosting backups?

However, I have reported the anomalies noticed with Managed Backups, and the restore observed and will be checking with our developer for any further improvement regarding this.

Sorry for any inconvenience due to this, have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Johannes,

Maybe it’s due to time out error. However, it’s tough to say without replicating the issue, nor testing in your server side. We have recently improved on hosting for how Backups works, and it should fix any issues regarding time out.

However, if you happen to replicate this error, or issue again. It would really help if you could follow up when the issue occurs, and also grab some screenshots regarding the error would be helpful too.

Regards,

Nithin

• Leonidas
    • Developer

Hi there Johannes ,

hope you’re doing well :slight_smile:

Regarding your original issue with Snapshot’s restore not bringing back the deleted custom taxonomies, we were able to pinpoint the issue, after taking a look at that backup.

It all stems from the fact that there is a custom column added in the WP default wp_terms table, called term_order, modifying the default structure of that table. The plugin in your site that actually adds that custom column is Custom Taxonomy Order. Changing the default structure of default WP tables is discouraged for plugin development.

That being said, Snapshot should cover these types of scenarios as well, that’s why we just added a task in order to not let that specific bad development practice to interfere with restore results in the future. Let me send you some points in order to thank you for helping us identify this.

Best regards,

Leonidas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.