[Snapshot Pro] Snapshot Installer

Hi,

Not sure if this is going to be a part of the forthcoming Migrator product but thought I should mention this:

I use Snapshot Pro to do full cloud based backups of sites. At least one of these sites has multiple security plugins (ie wordfence), ithemes security etc. and is on a cpanel based server (compared to my dev server which is debian and not a hint of cpanel).

When I used the snapshot installer (or tried to) to restore/migrate the backup to create an updated dev site it encountered a problem.

Other than the obvious (someone in the past has editted this particular site so the WP_CONTENT_DIR setting is moved) we also had a rather unique problem in that the settings in .htaccess/.user.ini not only stopped the site working, they also killed the snapshot installer from working (path issues/wordfence firewall path and various others).

It would be nice to have an option to have these critical files restored as a backup file (ie restore.htaccess) and have a default .htaccess/.user.ini file restored in their place OR ensure that these specific files only get restored once everything else is restored so the restore happens before its, potentially, killed as these files can have entries that will kill the web process trying to do the restore.

Kind regards

Mark

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Mark

I hope you're well today!

The Snapshot itself is not meant to do a "migration" so, in theory, it shouldn't be an issue. The main usage scenario is to restore the site and I think it's an assumption that the "snapshot-installer" is there in case the site was totally down.

If you got a managed backup and the site has to be restored but it's still accessible - at least you can login to back-end and access Snapshot there - you can restore it directly from Snapshot interface. If you don't have an access, you can use backup file along with a snapshot-installer. The Managed Backup is a full backup so the site is meant to be restored exactly as it was "down to the single piece". However, this implies that it's also restored to that exactly the same environment where it originally was. So, if you got the very same server, with all the very same configuration and the location of the site is same - none of that, at least in theory, should be an issue.

However, I think you got a point and sometimes restoration might be to other server - even though you use the same domain. The other serve can use a bit different architecture, different configuration and so on and that might sometimes become an issue. For example, moving from Apache-powered to Nginx-only powered server could, theoretically, cause such issues. The question is whether it's still "restoration" or already "migration" but I think this is something that we should possibly take another look at.

That said, I've forwarded your post to Snapshot developers and ask them for consultation on this. Please keep an eye on this ticket for further information and we'll update you here as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello again Mark

I just talked to one of our Snapshot developers and I can confirm my previous response. Basically, since Snapshot is a "backup and restore" tool but not a "migration" tool, the assumption is that the restoration is "1:1", including environment and so on. It might works with different scenarios but it wasn't created for it and we can't guarantee that.

However, you're right about the "migration" plugin. The Shipper which we're working on (it's being extensively tested) is a dedicated migration tool that, unlike Snapshot, is meant to help you move site between servers and/or domains and the goal is to make it as compatible and universal as possible so - to handle issues like environment differences and so on.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.