[Snapshot Pro] snapshot-installer.php restrictions make this a waste of time

I spent allot of time trying to work around the restrictions of snapshot-installer.php.

1. Don't force me to make environment changes that all ready are working. On plesk it uses open_basedir in a safe way. This tool stops until this is changed. TOOL should have overrides that I can say ignore this issue.

2. On Plesk I have a one click install of a fresh wordpress. It creates everything. So what happens when I try to restore with snapshot-installer.php. Even after giving it explicit DB name, user, password it would not allow me to restore to an existing default database that was created with 1 click install. AGAIN this can and should an ignore option.

3. I went into the backup zip file and changed the name of config.php to another config.php.abc. snapshot-installer.php pointed it out. I wanted to use the config.php information for database that was already in the directory from the one click install.

All restrictive issues should be addressed with an option to override.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lee,

1. Don't force me to make environment changes that all ready are working. On plesk it uses open_basedir in a safe way. This tool stops until this is changed. TOOL should have overrides that I can say ignore this issue.

I will need to check that issue with developers as I don't have access to this type of enviroment at the moment.

2. On Plesk I have a one click install of a fresh wordpress. It creates everything. So what happens when I try to restore with snapshot-installer.php. Even after giving it explicit DB name, user, password it would not allow me to restore to an existing default database that was created with 1 click install. AGAIN this can and should an ignore option.

I'm afraid I can't replicate this issue. Installer warns about existing database but still allows to deploy the site. I just tested that and this warning doesn't disable Deploy button.

3. I went into the backup zip file and changed the name of config.php to another config.php.abc. snapshot-installer.php pointed it out. I wanted to use the config.php information for database that was already in the directory from the one click install.

Just to be clear - you changed wp-config.php inside the backup zip and you would like force restoring process to use wp-config.php that is already in the directory where you are deploying site? Is that correct?

i was able to do a restore but have not tested it but one thing the plugins are all inactive that had been activated. is this normal?

No. Site should be restored to 1:1 state of the moment when the backup was done. Is it possible to test your backup to see if there are any irregularities? Can you open support access to site where backups was done and let me know which file we should be testing?

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please respond in this ticket once access is granted.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Lee

The deploy button does not activate when you don't have a config.php in the zip backup. I wanted to have the backup use the current config.php in the directory. It will not do this since it has to have a config.php in the zip files to proceed. My work around was to add the new config.php in the old zip backup.

No support access to this site since it is up and down and reconfigured almost by the minute.

I am trying to get Cloudflare CDN with private "images.domain.com" to work in offload s3 (free) on multisite. So far no joy works fine with aws urls but not private domain. Media Library shows placeholders but not the images. I am off topic.

Any how I deleted the entire site when I used the plesk panel to delete one of the other domains that was mapped to main site /httpdocs. Older plesk versions did not delete if other domains pointed to the directory. This is the reason I was trying to use snapshot to save some time.

But it did not save time, instead wasted time, due to all the really unnecessary restrictions. We need to be able to override it all so we can restore in any situation. Give me a tool that tells me what I need to know and warnings but don't stop me dead with out an ignore setting..

So as I said above I added the "new" config.php, from the one click install, to the zip file and renamed the original config.php file. I then used the snapshot-installer.php to restore the backup.

Previously I tried to use the menu in snapshot pro after loading snapshot pro in the fresh wordpress install but it would not import the modified zip file. (renamed config.php but did not add config.php at this point). I did not try to import the modified zip file with new config.php added. Since snapshot-installer.php would not work without a config.php file I suppose the managed backups and snapshot pro menu import would fail as well but they did not indicate reasons for failure.

Test time ran out today wasted to much time with snapshot work arounds.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lee,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with Snapshot.

The deploy button does not activate when you don't have a config.php in the zip backup.

That is the correct and expected behavior. Managed Backups are created to do backup the whole site and then deploy in the same state. Including all the file - it means also wp-config.php. If there is no file there, it means for the installer that files is corrupted and this is a blocker.

I can pass your case to developers so they can discuss if that would be a good feature for a future version of the Snapshot.

We need to be able to override it all so we can restore in any situation. Give me a tool that tells me what I need to know and warnings but don't stop me dead with out an ignore setting..

However, I checked with the developer would open_basedir be a blocker and they confirmed it is not. You should be still able to deploy your site.
    Nor this, nor existing database is a blocker for the installer.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.