[Snapshot Pro] Snapshot managed backup empty response error

Hi, the managed backup feature from snapshot pro is giving an error: 'empty response'. There should be a weekly backup with 2 in store but the backups don't seem to proceed; I have only one and since three weeks now there is no backup added to wpmu cloud since then. Thanks, Karin.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Karin

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Troubleshooting issues like this one requires individual approach in most cases so I'd like to check the site. Would you please enable support access to it so I could do this?

To enable it, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant Support Access" button there.

Let me know here once it's open, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Karin

Thanks for getting back to me and don't worry about the delay, we're here all year long, ready to "jump back" into the case at any time that suits you :slight_smile:

I checked the site and it seems that some admin-ajax calls during the backup process (directly related to it) are timing out and that might be related to the available server resources (some resource limits). We could try lowering the process "load" on server and try some tweaking.

This, however, will require a bit more direct access to the site as from the site back-end I can't check the files on the server (e.g. for big files), check debugging logs and add tweaks to the wp-config.php file.

Taking that into account, would you be able to provide me with direct access credentials?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send me your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Karin

I received your message with credentials, thank you.

I already checked the site and run some tests on it. I've responded with more details directly to your message via e-mail so please check your inbox and I'll be waiting for an update from you there (just respond directly to my mail, please).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Karin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,

I've responded (26/3) to you by email about if the snapshots generate or not. They don't. In the meantime I did a reïnstall of a previous backup I made manually because of another problem that occurred. I kept the tweaks you made in wp-config but the excluded directories you put in are still removed. Perhaps you could take a look again? Otherwise I will implement another way to generate backups. Thanks, Karin.

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hi Karin ,

You'll see 2 successful managed backup that have been uploaded to our servers with today's date.

The backups seem to be working fine but there's an issue with the "Scheduled" backups. As it seems the website isn't registering them properly so they won't automatically start on schedule.

I've escalated this to our Developers to see if that's an issue with Snapshot ( we didn't have any reports like that for the time being ) or with the website/server in general.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible with any extra information. Please have some patience as the response times from our Devs may vary depending the complexity of the issue.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

Hey Karin, Sorry for the delay in response.

I had a look at the site, and for some weird reason Snapshot is not able to register a cron for Managed backup on your site. And since this is a live site of yours we can't really debug on it to avoid any downtime.

I think the issue is mostly because of a plugin conflict and in order to confirm that I'm gonna try to install all the plugins on my local setup and try to replicate the issue.

I'll you keep updated, appreciate your patience in here.

Thanks, Umesh

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

Karin,

W3 Total Cache was causing conflict and not letting Snapshot to add cron jobs. I had to deactivate Database Cache and Object Cache for a moment and update Managed Backup schedule on the live site.

I can see the schedule in list of cron jobs now, set to run daily at 8:00 PM. Let's see if the backup finishes today

Thanks, Umesh

• Karin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Umesh! Does that mean I cannot use the database and object cache in combination with snapshot in te future if the backups proceed from now? And could this be caused by the cache the host offers? (Redis) No need to rush an answer. I can imagine you first want to wait for a backup to be finished. Karin.

• Umesh Kumar
      • Code Wrangler

Does that mean I cannot use the database and object cache in combination with snapshot in te future if the backups proceed from now?

Shouldn't be a problem unless you'd like to modify the Backup schedule at some point. I've already re-enabled both the caches and I still see the backup schedule in cron list. Let's see if it runs at it's scheduled time today.

And in case you have to modify backup schedule, you would need to follow these steps:
      * Temporary disable the object and db cache from W3 Total Cache
      * Update the backup schedule from Snapshot
      * Re-enable the cache and purge Object and DB cache specifically from W3 Total Cache settings.

And could this be caused by the cache the host offers? (Redis) No need to rush an answer.

Most likely yes and this can cause trouble with other plugins as well. Because without Redis, W3 Total Cache didn't create any trouble for me on my local server.

• Karin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hmmmm, seems the backup schedule isn't proceeding like it should; latest backup is from 25th of april. And I see the object and database cache are still disabled. So what now Umesh? Do you still have any ideas? Kind regards, Karin.

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

Hey Karin,

Yeah I realised cron disappears even with the cache disabled. So the only thing that's left is to check with your hosting provider, if they have their own caching which could be causing the trouble.

You can probably explain them the issue you're facing which is "Cron suppose to backup the site disappears regularly" and maybe check what they have to say about it.

Karin, if you could let me know how it goes with them.

Thanks, Umesh

• Karin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'll get in touch with them, Umesh. They don't have a caching of their own (apart from the redis functionality) they assured me once. I can flush the redis cache through ssh but in earlier caching problems that didn't solve my problem. So I doubt it is something in a cache. Another caching item: In the divi theme options I can disable minifying css and javascript, which I did because I use other tools for that. But I noticed recently that on a per page basis divi still minifies things. I haven't disabled this yet. Would this divi cache be the problem? Another question: Could it be some function that should be enabled which isn't? I know I can configure this to some extend in directadmin. I'll ask them for the disappearing cron anyway. Thanks, Karin.

• Umesh Kumar
      • Code Wrangler

Karin, Divi cache shouldn't be conflicting with Snapshot cron since Divi only deals with CSS and Javascript minification.

Another question: Could it be some function that should be enabled which isn't?

Not really, because it's just the single cron that disappears regularly. And I can't really think of a reason other than caching that could be causing it.

So for that reason I've asked you to check with the host.

Cheers, Umesh

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Karin

I think if it was something that would still need to be enabled/configured, Umesh would already notice that and let you know.

I know that he's still testing some possible scenarios on his end but please let us know here once you hear back from your host about that missing cron.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Karin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there Umesh/Adam ,

Still need to get in touch with the host about cron, sorry for the delay, have been busy last week. BUT! I noticed something weird today as I was collecting the info for the host. In the snapshot dashboard there suddenly are three managed backups; one from 13th of may and two from 14th of may AND! one from 14th of may in the local storage which is identical to one of the managed backups according to the filename. I didn't make this local backup. In the logfile I notice the backup takes about 20 minutes. What shall we do? Wait and see if this is proceeding as scheduled? Kind regards, Karin.

• Karin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Umesh, I now have three backups from 17th, 18th and 19th of may...... Database and object cache are still disabled. And since the 9th of may I have disabled the plugin 'Plugin Organizer'. But I assume that you've ruled plugin incompatibility out earlier in the troubleshooting proces. So.... not clear to me what did the trick.

• Adam Czajczyk
      • Support Gorilla

Hi Karin

And since the 9th of may I have disabled the plugin 'Plugin Organizer'.

Were there by any chance any settings/rules for Snapshot plugin or the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin in the Plugin Organizer plugin set? Even if not, the simplest way to test this would be to just enable it back and watch backups for a while. If they start to fail, disable Plugin Organizer back and see if they are working again.

I'm mentioning it because I checked the Plugin Organizer plugin and while I cannot confirm yet whether it's related or not, there's also quite a strong "reminder" on plugin's description page that sometimes it might cause unexpected issues regarding site/plugins' performance even if there are no rules set regarding affected plugins - at least "at first glance". This is because "what you see" is not always "what you get": a plugin, while seems to be enabled, might be doing some calls to/for some resources "under the hood" that are blocked (either intentionally or as a "side effect") for some completely unrelated plugin. I'm not sure if I've explained that clearly but I hope you get my point :wink:

Best regards,
      Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.